Tortellini and Spinach soup is one of those dishes that you pull together when you only have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table. Don’t worry though, this soup tastes like it has been cooking all day long! Your family will wonder if you rolled the tortellini with your own hands.
You know that my family loves soup for lunch and dinner. We eat it at least once a week during the fall and winter. In the summer we cut back to about once every two weeks. Last summer, we were a part of a Community Supported Agriculture and we would get our veggies straight from the farm. In the beginning of the harvesting season here in Virginia, asparagus is plentiful. It was then that we had our first bowl of Cream of Asparagus Soup! Talk about creamy deliciousness!
Too me, this tortellini and spinach soup seems more like a winter soup. I am not really sure why, perhaps because the tortellini make it seem hearty.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 -6 cups chicken broth or 4 -6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 (9 ounce) package fresh tortellini or 1 (9 ounce) package dried tortellini
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 10 ounces fresh spinach or 10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted and chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic, stirring often until onions are translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes, turn heat up to high, and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook according to package instructions.
- When tortellini is almost done, add spinach and taste, adjusting seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish each serving with a sprinkling of Parmesan.
Here are a few other great soup recipes your family may love.
Looking for more? Here is a great round up of 40 + Soup Recipes, just for you!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples #AppleWeek - September 29, 2017
- Easy Fried Apples #AppleWeek - September 27, 2017
- Nutmeg-Apple Conserve, a canning recipe #AppleWeek - September 26, 2017