Summer is quickly approaching and many of us will be on the road visiting family and friends and going on well deserved vacations..
Arriving at your desnitation feeling your healthiest is optimum. You don’t want to pick up a cold or flu bug.
How do you stay healthy when you are out of your element? I have tips for you to follow that will keep you as healthy as you can be. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you in advance if you purchase something.
Strengthen your immune system before you travel
- Take Vitamin C before during and after your trip to keep your immune system strong.
- Get good sleep, begin rested keeps your body strong. Get at least 8 hours of sleep.
- Drink water, you need to be hydrated. I carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go. Have one for each family member.
- Take Echinacea about 8 weeks prior to travel for immune system support.
Pack your own snacks
- Pack snacks that are high in protein like a trail mix,
- Avoid salty snacks as these will dehydrate you.
- Give your children their own bag of snacks filled with their favorites.
- Chopped vegetables and fruits are a good choice. They help keep things running smoothly too!
- Packing your own snacks assures there will always be something your children will eat.
- Carry your own water bottle and fill it up often. Have a water bottle for each family member.
- Pack a gallon or two of water from home. Fill your bottles from there. Bathrooms at gas stations may not be where you want to get your drinking water.
- Pack pre-cut fruits and vegetables that will hydrate you. Baby carrots, celery and strawberries are just are easy to pack.
- Carry a small spray bottle of water and spritz your face ever hour or so.
More tips for a healthy road trip
Keep things clean
- Messes are going to happen, so pack some non-toxic wipes to quickly clean up
- Make sure you have non-toxic hand sanitizer for the whole family. You can make your own DIY Hand Sanitizer or purchase some. Use it every time you stop to use a restroom, before and after meals.
Get good sleep
- Do your best to get 7 or 8 hours of sleep
- Try meditation before laying down, it may help you sleep better.
- Homeopathic’s are great for helping you get to sleep – they are non addicting. My favorites are Quitetude (gets you to sleep) and Coffea Cruda (keeps your mind from racing)
- Use a DIY Lavender Linen Spray on your pillows every night. Lavender is relaxing and will help you fall asleep quickly.
- Stop every couple of hours to stretch your legs. You don’t want to get blood clots.
- If you can’t stop, contract your calf muscles every hour for several minutes.
Stick to your normal routine
- Go to bed at about the same time you would if you were home
- Take all of your medicine and vitamins (make sure you pack a little extra just in case)
- Get exercise
Now you have my tips for healthy road trip, go get ready. Pack up your car, family and pets and head out of town. Enjoy yourself and remember to stay healthy!
If you are traveling abroad, there are some good tips at the FDA site that you will want to check out.
Flying on your trip? Here are some Holiday Air Travel Tips.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples #AppleWeek - September 29, 2017
- Easy Fried Apples #AppleWeek - September 27, 2017
- Nutmeg-Apple Conserve, a canning recipe #AppleWeek - September 26, 2017