Thai Chicken with Sour-Sweet-Salty Sauce manages to waken up every one of your taste buds! This chicken recipe was the perfect meal for the Asian theme of #SundaySupper.
Chicken is one of the most versatile foods in kitchen. You can add so many different spices and sauces to it and come up with something good almost every time. I was really excited to try this recipe for the flavor combination and for the fact that I would have a chance to use my grill again. This chicken is grilled for about 12 minutes and then baked.
Although Thai food can often be very full of heat, this recipe has just a touch of it in the sauce. You get the heat, but you don’t find it to be the strongest flavor. The traditional Thai flavors like fish sauce, garlic and cilantro are there and each one of the flavors causes your mouth to do a little happy dance!
Preparing the chicken is so easy. The first step to this recipe is creating a paste using cilantro as the base. I love cilantro and enjoy the way it makes my kitchen smell when I am working with it. So many of us think that cilantro is just for Mexican food, I know I did for a long time. Eating Thai food was not something that I had done much of. I began to try more of it when my daughter was studying in Thailand.
She would tell me of the food they were eating and how each region had a flavor of it’s own. She even brought some wonderful spices back for me to use in my home cooking. My daughter, she knows how to make her Mama happy!
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 small Thai chile, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a food processor, coarsely puree the cilantro, fish sauce and pepper. Coat the chicken with the marinade. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Make the dipping sauce by combining the fish sauce, lime, garlic, chile, sugar and water. Put aside until you serve the chicken.
- Light your outside grill and heat to medium. Rub the grill with an oiled paper towel. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, turning, until charred for about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, until cooked.
- Just before serving, stir the cilantro into the dipping sauce and serve with the chicken.
The original recipe called for the skin to be taken off the chicken. I decided to leave it on and get some of the great charred flavor from the grilling. While rubbing the marinade on the chicken, I made sure to pull the skin up some and rub the marinade under the skin as well as on the skin. The recipe calls for a 20 minute marinade, but I think I will try leaving the rub on for a couple hours next time (of course, I will leave the chicken in the refrigerator).
This Thai Chicken with Sour-Sweet-Salty Sauce was the perfect #SundaySupper. I made some Jasmine rice and a simple salad of tomatoes and cucumbers. I had a bit of the chicken leftover and I think I will make some spicy thai coconut soup! Stay tuned for that recipe.
Here are more great Asian inspired dishes from other fantastic #SundaySupper home chefs.
- Baked Turkey Lumpia – Filipino Eggroll by Food Done Light
- Crab Ragoon by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Fried Rice by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Sushi by The Freshman Cook
- Mango Pudding by Brunch with Joy
- Shrimp Rangoon Egg Rolls with Honey-Soy Dipping Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Thai Style Sliders by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Venison Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Asam Laksa by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Miso Ramen by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bok Choy Gai See Tong (Bok Choy and Shredded Chicken Soup) by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Prawn Wonton Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Asian Beef and Green Bean Stir-Fry by Family Foodie
- Banh Mi Hot Dog by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Lo Mein by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cheese Korokke by Manu’s Menu
- Chicken Zoodle “Lo Mein” by Casa de Crews
- Easy Chow Mein by Momma’s Meals
- Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Pork Báhn Mì by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Tandoori Chicken by Cooking Chat
- Hoisin Burgers with Peanut Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ojingeo Bokkeum (Korean Spicy Stir-fried Squid) by kimchi MOM
- Oven Simmered Asian BBQ Chicken by What Smells So Good?
- Pad Thai by Curious Cuisiniere
- Seven Flavor Precious Chicken by Nosh My Way
- Sri Lankan Vegetable Curry by Panning The Globe
- Thai Chicken by Feeding Big
- Vietnamese Flank Steak by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
On the Lighter Side
- Copy Cat: CPK Thai Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Crispy Asian Noodle Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Nam Sod (Thai Pork Salad) by Magnolia Days
- Soba Noodle Salad by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Best Wines To Pair with Asian Cuisine by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Oodles of Noodles
- Asian Noodle Types and 34 Best Asian Recipes by SundaySupper
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Health Benefits of Eating Apples - September 18, 2017
- Chicken Pot Pie from Scratch – the best comfort food - September 13, 2017
- Broccoli Bacon Salad #InternationalBaconDay - September 1, 2017