Shaved asparagus salad is one of those quick and easy salads that are perfect in the spring time and goes with any meal.
We belong to a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and we get a weekly box of fresh off the farm vegetables and fruits. The first few weeks of the CSA we usually get pounds and pounds of asparagus.
I love asparagus, so I am not disappointed when we get them. I know I have a stash of recipes just waiting to be made. You might think I am crazy, but during the winter, I look at recipes that I know I will be able to use when we get our spring and summer boxes of fresh ingredients.
This shaved asparagus salad is a fun one to make. Raw asparagus is delicious. By shaving the asparagus, you know you will get tender pieces of the vegetable. All you need to do is grab a vegetable peeler to shave them.
Here is how:
- Lay a single stalk of asparagus on a cutting board
- Hold the thick end of the asparagus with one hand
- Using the vegetable peeler, shave a slice off going from the thick end to the tip
- See – that is so easy isn’t it?
- Now place the shaved pieces in a bowl and get ready for the next step.
Shaved Asparagus Salad recipe:
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Shave each piece of asparagus individually by laying it flat on your cutting board, using one hand to hold one end and using the other hand to shave it. Place asparagus in a salad bowl.
- Slice green onion and sprinkle it over the asparagus.
- Shave the parmesan using the same vegetable peeler, and add it to the salad.
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve immediately.