Pico De Gallo (Pick of the Chicken) finds its way on my table at least once or twice a week! When my family gets together for game night or movie night, we always have a great snack and this pico is often the dip that my family members ask for.
I spent many years living in Texas and grew to love all types of Mexican food. I learned to love hot foods at the hands of my best friends Mom. Lupita was from Mexico and, although she could speak some English, she chose to speak only Spanish to me. I learned to speak Spanish really quickly and can still understand it well. Lupita also taught me to love great Mexican food.
Pico De Gallo was a staple in her house. You could look in the refrigerator on any given day and find a big dish of it. She also had home made chips! Yummmm.
This easy Pico recipe reminds me of the salsa that Lupita made. I know if she were around she would be happy to know that I have found this recipe and that my family loves it!
You only need a few ingredients and a little bit of time to make this.
- 3 yellow onions
- 12 Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 to 3 jalapenos
- 1 lime
- Dice up equal quantities of onion and tomato.
- Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Slice 1 or 2 jalapenos in half and then chop. (I stick a fork in the stem end of the pepper and then chop with a knife - I don't get juice under my fingers and in my eye!) If you want hot Pico, leave the seeds in. For a milder Pick, scrape the seeds out of the pepper before you chop it.
- Add all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice from half a lime the bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and stir together until combined. Taste the pico de gallo and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Looking for another great dip recipe? Stop by Organized 31 and see Susan’s Cheesy Black Bean Dip!
Looking for a drink to wash down those great dips? Holly from Coconut Head Survival Guid shared a recipe for this great Frozen Strawberry Margarita.