Napkins with Ric Rack dress up your table and they are an easy, quick project. I hope this project will inspire you.
I love setting the table and using various napkins and placemats. I attempt to create a place setting that goes with the dish! One thing that drives me crazy is the amount of money you have to pay for a decorated napkin! I mean really, $5.00 for one napkin? I have even seen them more expensive than that!
So, I went to World Market and picked up a pack of 12 white cotton napkins that cost around $10.00! The napkins I purchased were 20″ square. I love the bigger size (we are big messy eaters). You can also find the same napkins on Amazon. A set of starts at $7.99. My next stop was Joann Fabrics. I purchased 4 packages of Red 1/2 inch Ric Rac for $1.50 each. (I used my 50% coupons).
- 4 cotton napkins (I used 20 inch)
- 4 packages of Ric Rac (if you use smaller napkins, you will need less)
- Thread (your choice of color)
- Fray Check
- Sewing Machine
Next step – to my sewing machine!
Here are the steps to follow:
- Iron your napkin
- Measure how much Ric Rac you need. Allow enough Ric Rac so that it overlaps an inch or so.
- Apply Fray Check to the ends of the Ric Rac and let dry.
- Begin attaching the Ric Rac by starting about 1/2 inch from the corner.
- Sew down the center of the Ric Rac
- When you are almost to the corner, stop sewing and fold the Ric Rac so that it is at a right angle and going down the next side. Pin in place if needed.
- Take a few more stitches until you reach the corner. With the needle down in the Ric Rac, raise the presser foot and pivot the napkin.
- Lower the presser foot and continue sewing.
Now go and set the table using your wonderful fancy napkins!
If you want to make your napkins from scratch – her is a great link that will give you directions on how to do it! The Purl Bee
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Health Benefits of Eating Apples - September 18, 2017
- Chicken Pot Pie from Scratch – the best comfort food - September 13, 2017
- Broccoli Bacon Salad #InternationalBaconDay - September 1, 2017