You know the old saying, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” Well, life has given me a lot of lemons lately. What have I done? I made Meyer Lemon Bars!
It has been a long time since I have made lemon bars. I distinctly remember Big saying they were on the list of, “not my favorites.” Being the good person that I am, Lemon Bars didn’t find their way into the kitchen very often. Let me tell you, these are so good, that even Big has had a change of heart and has asked to have the make a come back!
You remember the recipe I shared not too long ago for Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake, don’t you? I had a few Meyer Lemons left over, so I decided to give Paula Deen’s Lemon Bar recipe a try.
These lemon bars are sweet and tart at the same time. The crust is a perfect shortbread, it is buttery and melts in your mouth!
Meyer Lemon Bars
- For the Crust
- 2 pieces sticks unsalted butter cut into and at room temperature, plus more to butter the dish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar plus more for dusting
- Pinch of Salt
- For the filling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice I used Meyer Lemon Juice
Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9X13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil and butter the foil.
Make the crust: Whisk the flour, confectioner's sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with your fingers to make a crumbly dough; press into the prepared baking dish. Bake 20 minutes, then transfer to a rack and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, make the filling: Mix the eggs, granulated sugar and flour in a bowl with a fork. Mix in the lemon juice. Pour the filling over the crust and bake 25 more minutes, transfer to a rack and let cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Lift out of the pan and cut into pieces.
I used Meyer Lemons in place of regular lemons.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples #AppleWeek - September 29, 2017
- Easy Fried Apples #AppleWeek - September 27, 2017
- Nutmeg-Apple Conserve, a canning recipe #AppleWeek - September 26, 2017