Menu Planning Made Simple, Part 4. This week I will be talking about What to Buy. Please remember this works for my family and it may not necessarily work for yours. I purchase whole foods and make most of my foods from scratch. I do stock up on a few things, especially when on sale or at a deep discount.
I work hard at buying produce that is less than $.50 per pound. Sometimes that can be difficult to find, but when I do find produce at a good price, I try to stock up! So with this in mind, here is my list of what to buy when you are in the grocery store:
What to Buy When In the Grocery Store:
- Produce that is less than $.50 a pound (most typically food that is in season. Field To Plate has some great charts)
- Dried beans – store in the pantry in glass jars or large plastic tubs – label and date
- Whole chickens – cut up yourself
- Bulk Canned Food – We are a smaller family, so I refrigerate or freeze what we don’t use right away
- Bulk dry goods – Flour, Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Various Rices, Oats (Store on the lowest shelf possible to keep as cool as possible)
- Discounted Meat – I look for the meat that has been marked down because it will expire in a couple days. I bring it home, separate it if necessary and freeze it immediately.
Next week will be the last in the series. I will share some great Menu Planning printable forms and some grocery lists also. I am also going to get busy and find some great ways for you to display your menu plan. It will help you stay on track and stop everyone from asking, “Mom, what is for dinner?”
If you have not had time to read the rest of the series, click on the titles below and you will be directed to the post.
Are you looking for some great recipes that will cost you around $5.00? Check a few of these out – I am sure you will find something you and your family will love!
$5.00 Meals – A great source
If you are looking for more frugal ideas, or want to share a few of your own, check out all of the great ideas below!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Health Benefits of Eating Apples - September 18, 2017
- Chicken Pot Pie from Scratch – the best comfort food - September 13, 2017
- Broccoli Bacon Salad #InternationalBaconDay - September 1, 2017