Healthy sugar cookie recipe? Yes, you read correctly. You may be wondering about making a healthy sugar cookie recipe. I know, it sounds crazy doesn’t it?
My family and I have been eating clean/real food for about 7 or 8 months now. This means that we have cut out processed foods and eat foods as they are. (Does this interested you? Join the 10 Day Clean Eating for Health challenge).
There are times when I feel like the Cookie Monster! I could easily eat cookies and let the crumbs fly. Of course, this is not very healthy. So, I found a way to make cookies that are more healthy. These lemon poppy seed cookies are my contribution to the Fill The Cookie Jar Event.
What is a girl to do when she is craving sugar? The answer for me was to switch up a recipe that I love and find ingredients that are better for me.
HEALTHY SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
I used coconut sugar as a replacement for processed white sugar in this recipe. Here are a few things you need to know about coconut sugar.
- Coconut sugar has the same amount of calories as white sugar
- Coconut sugar is 70% to 79 % sucrose and only 3% to 9 % each of fructose and glucose
- Coconut sugar is low on the glycemic index
As you can see, coconut sugar is still a sugar. It is a healthier sugar. So, when I really need to become the Cookie Monster, I opt for this sugar as a substitute to white processed sugar.
These lemon poppy seed cookies are sweet, chewy and have a bit of a molasses flavor to them. I really do think your family will love them. I make a big batch and freeze some for later. They are great for lunches or snacks.
When out shopping for coconut sugar, please beware that many companies claim their products is coconut sugar, when they are only part coconut sugar and part white sugar. Make sure you read the labels.
Bob’s Red Mill coconut sugar is the brand I trust when purchasing my healthy and organic products. You can find them at Amazon (where I am an affiliate).
Poppy Seed Lemon Cookies, a healthy cookie
Bursting with lemon flavor. These cookies are clean eating/real food and made with a healthier sweetener.
- 1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 10 TBL Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1 TBL Lemon Extract
Combine white whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon of the poppy seeds, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl. Mix well
Using a coffee grinder or your blender, grind the coconut sugar until fine and powdery.
Using a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Slowly add the coconut sugar. Beat for about 3 minutes or until light and creamy.
Add the egg and the egg yolk and continue to mix. Then add the lemon extract. Mix about 1 minute
Slowly add the flour mixture until combined. Scrape down sides as necessary.
Cover and let rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven t9 350° Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Place one scant tablespoon of dough on the parchment paper. Leave about 2 inches between cookies. You should have 12 cookies on the sheet.
Bake for 4 minutes and then turn the cookie sheet and bake another 4 or 5 minutes. Centers should be soft.
When the cookies are done, let them cool on the cookie sheet. Continue to bake the rest of the cookies in the same manner.
Stop by these great bakers and see what they have been up to this month. I am sure you will find something delicious that you must make!
- Blueberry/Lemon Macaroons by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Carrot Oatmeal Cookies by Join Us Pull Up A Chair
- Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips Cookies by Making Miracles
- Chocolate Chip Bunny Cookie Pops by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Honeybee Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Koulourakia by That Recipe
- Lemon Butter Cookies by Marlys This and That
- Loaded Oreo M&M Cookie Bars by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- No Bake Bird’s Nest Cookies by Making Memories with your Kids
- Spring Garden Malted Milk by Famished Fish
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples #AppleWeek - September 29, 2017
- Easy Fried Apples #AppleWeek - September 27, 2017
- Nutmeg-Apple Conserve, a canning recipe #AppleWeek - September 26, 2017