Get enough sleep. That seems like an easy thing to do. I don’t know about you, but I struggle with getting enough sleep at times.
My mind races. My pets wake me up. I stay up late with work deadlines. All of these things make it hard to get a good night of sleep. I wake up feeling fuzzy headed and groggy. Not a good way to start the day.
Why do we need sleep?
We all grew up hearing our Mom’s telling us to get 8 hours of sleep. She was right. When sleeping, our bodies restore all of the energy supplies we have used during the day.
Did you know that a growth hormone is secreted during sleep that is important for rebuilding muscles? I sure didn’t. I want to share why we need sleep and how to get it. Some of the information contains affiliate links.
Here are some other reasons why we need sleep:
- Learning and Memory
- Problem Solving
- Muscle Repair
- Reduced Inflammation
- Lower Risk of Depression
How to get enough sleep:
- Avoid looking at your computer, phone etc. for at least an hour before bed time. The “blue” light emitted from the screen triggers a hormone that makes your body produce more daytime hormones.
- No caffine at least 4 hours before bedtime.
- Get to bed by 10 p.m Research shows we get the most significant hormonal secretions and recovery during the hours of 10 pm and 2 am.
- Try taking Magnesium. It is suggested to take 400-500mg of magnesium before bed.
- Have a high protein/low carb snack before bed. Try this high protein Fall trail mix about 90 minutes before you go to bed.
- Make your bedroom a sanctuary. Your bedroom should be for sleep and not work. Find a pillow that fits the way you sleep. Also make sure your blanket will help you sleep all night. Read more here.
- Sleep with the temperature down. A cooler room is better for you. Studies have shown that ideal is between 62° and 70°.
- Soak in the tub about 2 hours before you go to bed. Soak for about 20 minutes (I use Epsom Salt and Lavender essential oil) According to a study by New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center our body temperature will go up and then drop before bedtime which will afford you a deeper sleep.
- Aromatherapy can help you fall asleep and stay asleep. Essential Oils such as lavender, Roman Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Marjoram and others can help you get a good night of sleep. Try using the oils in a diffuser next to your bed.
In order to help you get a good night sleep, I am able to offer you a great bundle from Brentwood Home. It is the Brentwood Home Holistic Wellness Bundle. One lucky US winner will receive a Meditation Pillow, a Latex/Kapok Pillow and an Aromatherapy Candle.
Once you enter the Holistic Wellness Giveaway, take a minute to stop by Organized 31 and enter to win this Runyon Deluxe Pet Bed Giveaway!
I hope these all natural and easy tips on how to get enough sleep help you. Let me know if you try any of them!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples #AppleWeek - September 29, 2017
- Easy Fried Apples #AppleWeek - September 27, 2017
- Nutmeg-Apple Conserve, a canning recipe #AppleWeek - September 26, 2017