Broccoli bacon salad is a fresh and delicious side dish to most any meal. Easy to make and so creamy. It is a great dish to make for International Bacon Day (or any day!).
I can still remember the first time I ate a broccoli salad.
I was living in the Dallas area and worked for a company of about 5,000 employees! Believe me when I say that every week (or more often) some one had a birthday, anniversary, wedding, or was going to have a baby.
Needless to say, we were constantly having “Spreads”. Yeah, I didn’t’ know what that was when I first moved to the area. I quickly found out it was the Texas way of saying a pot luck. I loved celebrating with my co-workers and especially loved going to the spreads. It was a great way to try new foods and to make your favorites to share with other.
I can’t remember exactly who shared the first broccoli salad I ever tried, but I can remember thinking, “This is something I will have to make my family!” Can you believe it took me almost 20 years to finally get around to making it?
Broccoli Bacon Salad
- 8 slices bacon we use Smithfield
- 9 cups fresh broccoli Cut into florets
- 1/2 purple onion chopped
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise no substitutes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar or less
- 1 tablespoons 1⁄2-2 cider vinegar
Fry the bacon; break into pieces; set aside.
Trim broccoli stems, cut into 1/2 - 1-inch pieces; cut flower ends into small pieces, too; put into a large serving bowl.
Add chopped onion, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
Add bacon (you can wait to add the bacon until just prior to serving)
Add bacon now or wait until serving time if you don't like it to get soggy-ish.
DRESSING: Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl until sugar dissolves.
Add dressing to broccoli mixture and mix well.
Refrigerate or serve right away
I hope you don’t wait 20 years to try this recipe. I am sure you and your family will love it. The salad has a great crunch to it and is full of great flavors. Try it at your next grill out or picnic!
Take a few minutes to check out these great recipes using bacon.
- Bacon Cheddar Horseradish Dip from Gate to Plate
- Bacon Corn Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus from A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Barbecue, Bacon, & Cheddar Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Tip Garden
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Skillet from Amy’s Cooking Adventure
- Hot German Potato Salad with Bacon from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Pasta Carbonara Torte from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Roast Beef, Ham and Bacon Club Sandwich from Family Around The Table
- Surprise Biscuits from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Warm Bacon Gruyere Dip with Caramelized Onion and Chive from Bear & Bug Eats
- Wilted Lettuce Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Palatable Pastime