The best cheese popcorn recipe is right here. No need to look any further.
Do you love popcorn? Doesn’t the smell of it make your mouth water? I don’t know about you, but when I head to the movies, I almost can’t resist purchasing a big bucket of popcorn and shoving as much of it in my mouth as possible.
Of course, I know the popcorn at the movie theaters is far from good for me. It is coated with a “butter flavor” that is not butter at all.
What is a popcorn lover to do? Make popcorn at home. You can use a popcorn maker or you can head to your stovetop with a heavy bottom pan, a little Barlean’s butter flavor coconut oil and some popcorn kernels.
BEST CHEESE POPCORN EVER
Before I share the best cheese popcorn recipe with you, let’s talk a little bit about popcorn. Many people wonder if popcorn is even healthy. My research has shown that popcorn has one of the highest levels of polyphenols of any plant food – including most fruit!
Here is the nutrition breakdown of popcorn:
- 1 cup of air popped has only 31 calories
- 1 cup air popped popcorn has only .3 grams of fat
- Large amount of vitamins; folate, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, vitamins B, A, E, and K
- Good source of iron, potassium, zinc, and polyphenols (which fight off cancer and healthy problems)
- Good dieting tool, popcorn has a high glycemic Index of 55 (your blood sugar won’t spike)
Popcorn is healthy and a good snack if:
- The popcorn is whole grain
- The popcorn is not purchased microwavable (filled with bad fats and chemicals)
- The popcorn is made at home (read my review of popcorn makers)
BEST CHEESE POPCORN RECIPE
Not only is popcorn healthy, it is also frugal. Even if you budget is tight, you probably can afford to buy the ingredients to make your own popcorn at home.
Of course I would love it if you would make my recipe for cheese popcorn, but you can also add other toppings to make it a snack your family would love.
More healthy toppings (remember, you will want to add a little EVOO, butter or melted Barlean’s to the popcorn before adding the dry ingredients):
- Curry Powder
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Herbes De Provence
- Smoked Paprika
- Make the above recipe and then add red pepper flakes and italian herbs for Pizza Popcorn
- Various salts (Himalayan, grey salt, etc)
- Chili powder and a little cayenne or chipotle powder
Best cheese popcorn ever, healthy too
Easy recipe for cheese popcorn. Make it for your next movie night.
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of high quality popcorn kernels
- 1 Tbsp Butter For topping
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese Freshly grated
Heat the oil in a 3-quart thick-bottomed saucepan on medium high heat.
Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the hot oil.
When the kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds.
Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon. When the popcorn starts popping, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner.
Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper).
Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
Don't leave the popcorn in the pan, it will continue to cook and you will have burned popcorn.
Using the same pan you made the popcorn in, melt the butter. When melted, drizzle the butter on the popcorn
Sprinkle the cheese on the popcorn and enjoy
Looking for more healthy snacks? Here are a few that my family loves. I love them because they are easy and healthy.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are a healthy sugar cookie recipe. These delicious cookies are made with coconut sugar which is a healthy alternative to white sugar.
Join the challenge
Subscribe to get the 10 day Clean Eating for Health Challenge content by email.