Apple Pie Bars are my contribution to the Fill The Cookie Jar Facebook group of bakers. Each month we get together and share cookie or cookie bar recipes based on a theme. This month our theme was fall. By the way, if you are a blogger and would like to join the group, sign up here: Fill The Cookie Jar.
When I think about fall, I think about leaves falling, shorter days and cooler weather. I also think about apples and pumpkins. We have 4 large apple trees in our yard, so at this time of the year I am always busy looking for great recipes to use apples.
Of course, children will love these bars. They would make the perfect after school treat. Place them on the table and see them smile when they walk in the door. I know when my daughter was younger, coming home to a treat like this was the perfect ending to a busy day. For me, it was a way to connect with my daughter before she got busy with homework or after school activities.
- 2 1/2 sticks of butter
- 1 1/2 plus 1 Tablespoon cups of sugar - divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (divided)
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled and diced
- 2 cups of flour
- Coarse sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with foil (let it hang over 2 inches) and spray with cooking spray.
- Sauté 2 the apples in 1/2 stick of butter with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon apple pie spice until the apples are soft.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter and let it cool slightly. Whisk in the sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and 1 tsp. apple pie spice. Add sautéed apples and stir until combined.
- Spread in pan, sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for about 25 minutes.
I am a big fan of cookie bars. They are so quick and easy to make. All of the ingredients go in one bowl and then in one pan. I use a foil liner in the baking pan, so clean up is easy too.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples #AppleWeek - September 29, 2017
- Easy Fried Apples #AppleWeek - September 27, 2017
- Nutmeg-Apple Conserve, a canning recipe #AppleWeek - September 26, 2017