Clean eating whole wheat banana bread with blueberries is not the banana bread recipe I have been using for 20+ years.
We all have those recipes that have been passed on to us from generation to generation. In my case, my Mother In Law gave me this recipe and it has been one that is made on a regular basis.
Since Big and I are on a path to clean eating and living, I knew the recipe from my MIL would no longer fit in our healthy way of living. I decided to switch it up a little.
I took the 2 cups of sugar out of the recipe and added honey. Now, I will admit, this bread is not as sweet as the banana bread we were used to, but I really don’t miss the uber sweet taste.
The ripe bananas and the honey make the bread the perfect sweetness. The blueberries add a sweetness to the bread also.
Greek yogurt was substituted for the milk that was called for in my MIL’s recipe. The addition of greek yogurt makes the dough denser, but no less moist.
I have made this clean eating whole wheat banana bread with blueberries multiple times. Each time I make it, I get rave reviews from Big.
I know your family will love this whole wheat banana bread recipe. You can easily leave out the blueberries if you would like.
How to make Clean Eating Whole Wheat Banana Bread – with blueberries:
- 2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 pint blueberries
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt (we use Fage)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt, honey, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not overmix.
- Add blueberries and fold them into the mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake large loaf for 40 – 50 minutes or until it comes clean with a toothpick.
When you make this, leave me a comment or send me an email letting me know what you thought. Heck, send me a photo of it or of your family devouring it and I will share it on my Facebook and twitter page!
Thanks so much for stopping by and I will see you soon!
You may also like these Clean Eating Recipes –