Have you looked at the calendar lately? I did, and it freaked me out a little. Panic set in when I realized that the 4th of July was just around the corner and I had no idea what to make for my get together. I knew I wanted to rock my guest’s world, so I put on my thinking came and came up with Watermelon Pizza.
The weather is finally getting warm – heck it is actually pretty darn hot at times. When the temperature rises, I certainly don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. This watermelon pizza takes minutes to prepare and will disappear in less time.
We belong to a CSA and begin to get farm fresh fruits and vegetables beginning in May. At the beginning of the season, we receive a lot of asparagus from the farm. As the weeks go by, we begin to get more variety in our pick up boxes.
Last week, we received a pint of fresh picked blueberries and I was allowed to go to the strawberry fields and pick 4 pounds of strawberries.
I knew that I wanted to create a fresh 4th of July (or anytime) dessert for our family celebration. We had just picked up a watermelon and as the fruits lay on the counter, a light bulb came on in my head.
We had just been taking about having pizza for dinner and I thought, “Why can’t I make a pizza from watermelon?”
The recipe is simple and takes less than 10 minutes to put together. I think the longest time needed was cutting the watermelon!
- 1 seedless watermelon
- 6 - 8 Tablespoons of Vanilla Yogurt (I prefer to use whole milk Greek Yogurt)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- Create the "crust" of the pizza, by slicing a piece of watermelon that is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The center of the watermelon will create the biggest pizza.
- Lay the slice of watermelon on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Cut the slice into 6 pieces.
- Spread about 1 TBL Vanilla Yogurt on each slice.
- Top with blueberries and strawberries.
- You can use any flavor yogurt you have. Change up the toppings to your families liking.
Don’t have blueberries and strawberries? Top your watermelon pizza with dried fruit, coconut, dates mandarin orange slices or anything your family loves. This fruit pizza would go well with a Pineapple dip, don’t you think?
I think the next time I have company over, I will create a Watermelon Pizza bar and let guests top their slice with what ever they like! That sounds like so much fun doesn’t it?
What do you think you would top your Watermelon pizza with?
Do you still want more 4th of July (summer) ideas? You will love these 4th of July Firecracker treats for kids from Organized 31.
I love this Pineapple Dip from Homemade from Elle. I think my family would really love it and I know I will be making some for them soon.
My good friend from Wondermom Wannabe has some great 4th of July Party Activities that your family will love.
Now you are set for your 4th of July celebration (or any summer day) I hope you enjoyed these actives and recipes. What will your family be doing this 4th?
Craving more great summer recipes? Take a minute to look at these – you won’t regret it.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Peppermint Meringues (Gluten Free) #ChristmasCookies - December 9, 2016
- This is How We Roll #93 - December 8, 2016
- Not your everyday Oatmeal Raisin Almond Cookies #ChristmasCookie - December 6, 2016