Curry is something pretty new to me. To be totally honest, I am not so sure that I have acquired a love of curry yet. My daughter on the other hand, loves curry and most all Southeastern Asian Foods. As you know, she was recently in Thailand and learned to enjoy very spicy and hot foods.
As a gift to me, my daughter brought back a couple of packages of spices that she found on the market in Thailand. They were the inspiration for finding a dish that I would enjoy making and eating.
So, when I saw this recipe, I decided to give it a try and see if I could learn to love curry and please my daughter at the same time. I really enjoyed the Tomato, Potato and Coconut Curry and so did my daughter other than she thought it could use more spice and heat! I have a little confession to make – I didn’t use the complete amount of spices that the recipe calls for! That is probably why she thought it was not as flavorful as she would have liked it to be! Remember, I am just learning to like curry!
This curry is something I will make again and I will use all of the spices called for! I will be brave and I will learn to love curry!
- Tomato, Potato and Coconut Curry2013-09-23 18:02:27A wonderful curry with just enough spice and heat. Great as an appetizer or as a meal.Write a reviewIngredients
- 1⁄4lb new potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3oz fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (I used powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 can coconut milk
- 5 vine tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and quartered
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
Feeding Big http://feedingbig.com/
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water until half cooked, then drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, lime leaves and turmeric then cook for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and stir in the coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add the tomatoes and spinach and cook for about 1 minute, until the spinach has wilted.