Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are my contribution to this month’s Fill the Cookie Jar Event. Each month a few home bakers get together and share recipes based on a theme.
Our theme for the month of May is Mother’s Day. I know my Mom would love these chewy and sweet strawberry filled bars.
My Mom loves baked goods. Simple as that! The reason I chose the bars to represent my Mom and Mother’s day is because of a fond memory I have.
My Mother comes to visit every year in May to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. She has been at every one of my daughter’s birthdays for the past 25 years. (Yes, I do have a baby that old!).
A couple years ago, I had read about a local strawberry farm that was having a sale on their strawberries. You had to go and pick them, but they were available for $.99 a pound. Now, I just could not pass up that deal. You know I love a deal.
My Mother, daughter and I jumped into the car and off we went. When we arrived at the farm, we got buckets to put all of the strawberries in. I was so excited to have fresh off the farm strawberries. Visions of strawberry recipes danced in my head.
One and a half hours later, my daughter and my Mother began to complain about the heat, the mosquitos and the mud we had to walk through. I dismissed them because our buckets were not full. Yes, I made them stay out there and work.
We finally filled out buckets and went home. We had pick almost 20 pounds of strawberries. We created an assembly line – everyone had their chore. We washed, hulled and froze or cooked those strawberries. Boy, were we tired by the end of the night.
Pizza was ordered and we all went to bed early. We often laugh about this story and both my daughter and my Mother make me out to seem much worse that I was.
Here is how to make these Strawberry Oatmeal bars:
Oatmeal strawberry bars
These bars are so easy to make and full of sweet strawberry filling. Your family will love them as an after school or anytime snack.
Write a review
- 1/2 clight brown sugar - firmly packed
- 1/2 cup salted butter - softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (do not use quick cooking oats)
- 3/4 c strawberry jam (I use Smucker's)
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Using cooking spray, grease one 9x9 inch pan.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except butter and strawberry jam. Stir until well combined.
- Add in softened butter. You should have a crumbly mixture.
- Place 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Press down to create the bottom of the bar.
- Heat jam in the microwave (in a microwave safe dish) for about 20 seconds, then stir.
- Spread the strawberry jam evenly over the top. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
Adapted from Just a Pinch
Adapted from Just a Pinch
Feeding Big http://feedingbig.com/
I think the next time my Mom comes to visit I will make these bars for her and we can laugh about picking strawberries.
I am a lover of great food, gardening, quilting and all things that make my house a home.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best Fruit Kabobs Ever #July4Recipes - June 27, 2017
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bar Recipe, with cherries (GF, Vegan) - June 26, 2017
- The best nachos recipe, Cowboy Nachos #SundaySupper - June 25, 2017