Split Pea Soup is one of my very favorite soups. There is something comforting about the thick and flavorful soup. For some crazy reason, I only make it in the fall and winter! It is one of my favorite frugal family meals.
I wanted to share this recipe with you today, not only because it is delicious, but because it is also very frugal. This recipe will feed a family of 4 (large bowls) or a family of 6 (small bowls). It is filling enough to have it on it’s own, but it is also a great with a green salad or a sandwich.
This Split Pea Soup is made in the slow cooker. All you have to do is toss a few ingredients in the slow cooker and forget it! Well, I usually go and check on it and give it a stir and a taste! That really isn’t necessary though!
- 1 lb dry green split peas
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 6 cups chicken broth (can use water with chicken bullion cube)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sort and rinse peas. Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on high for about 4 - 5 hours or low for about 8 - 10 hours.
- To make it vegetarian - use vegetable broth
- If you have some celery, you can throw that in also
- I add a ham hock at the beginning to add flavor
- Add leftover ham
- Top with bacon, sour cream
- Split Peas – $2.00
- Chicken broth – $1.99
- 1 small onion – $.25
- 1 clover of garlic – $.10
- 1 medium carrot – $.25
- TOTAL COST – $4.59
- I guessed at the cost of the peas, I think they were less, I buy store brand or GOYA, either one is usually cheaper and I find them to be of the same quality.
- The broth was a store brand, depending on where you live, you may pay more or less.
- To save even more money, you can make the soup with water. I don’t find it to taste as good, but if you are really low on money, it is something to think about.
- If you use water versus chicken broth, try using a Chicken Bullion Cube with the water, adds taste without a lot of money
I hope you will give this fantastic soup a try. I love that it is so easy and inexpensive. It really will be your families next favorite frugal meal!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Vitamin C Supplement benefits are many, add it to your day - March 21, 2017
- Cajun Tilapia with roasted zucchini - March 20, 2017
- Easy Buddha Bowl with Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette - March 17, 2017