Sopa de Quinoa is a flavorful soup that has been inspired by a dish eaten in South and Central America. If you have visited here before, you know that I lived in the Southwest for many years and grew to love Mexican food. The hotter, the better was my motto. This soup, made with quinoa is spicy soup that is light enough to be served in the summer and yet hearty enough for a winter meal.
I am lucky enough to have been asked to represent Bob’s Red Mill in their Grains Of Discovery campaign. There are many of us bloggers who are a part of this adventure. We all received a box of the following grains: Quinoa, Teff, Amaranth, Farro, Kamut, Chia, Millet, Sorghum, and Spelt. We have been asked to cook with these grains and come to know them better. I am so excited to be a part of this group and feel honored that I was selected.
I will be part of a Google Hangout that begins on September 4th. Each blogger will discuss their particular grain and share their knowledge and recipes. My grain is Amaranth and I will be a panelist on September 25th. I hope you will follow all of the hangouts, but I really hope you will tune in on the 25th!
Back to the grains! Quinoa is the first grain I have cooked with. I have tried quinoa before. It is one of my daughter’s favorites. I decided to go with the recipe that was shared in the booklet that came with the grains. I was really glad I did. This is a hearty soup, but one that is not too heavy or filling. The protein that is derived from the Quinoa was enough to keep us full and satisfied for the night. The only thing I changed about this recipe, was that I added a chopped jalapeño. Remember, I spend many years in the Southwest and although my motto is no longer, “the hotter, the better,” I still like my food pretty darn hot!
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano chili, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium Yukon Gold Potato, cubed
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup yellow corn kernels
- 1 cup diced red or green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup Quinoa
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, serrano chili (I also added 1 chopped jalapeño), cumin, black pepper and salt.
- Cook until fragrant, 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, potato and broth.
- Cook over medium to medium-low heat until potato is soft, about 40 minutes.
- Add corn, bell pepper and quinoa.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until quinoa begins to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add parsley, cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This Is How We Roll Thursday Link Party #86 - October 20, 2016
- Why I have a Breast Cancer Awareness Christmas Tree - October 20, 2016
- Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe – A Clean Eating Recipe - October 19, 2016