You are most likely here because you have just opened your refrigerator door and had to take a step back due to the smell. Trust me, I have been there.
The turnip greens began to smell up the refrigerator. Let me rephrase that – the STUNK up the refrigerator. I knew I had to get that bad smell out of my refrigerator.
Of course the first thing I did was take the offending greens out of the refrigerator. I thought that would solve the issue. Later in the day, I went for a drink of water, or maybe a snack, and the smell was still there.
I knew I had to do something. I reached out to a couple friends to find out how they deal with fridge smell removal and then headed to google.
Here are the natural ways I got rid of the smelly fridge problem. I share a couple ideas that will take you to an outside source where I am an affiliate.
Natural ways to remove the odor in a smelly fridge:
- Clear out the offending food and any old food that is hiding in the back of the fridge.
- Wipe inside of unit with equal parts vinegar and water. Vinegar provides acid which destroys mildew and odor.
- Wash the drawers with hot soapy water and let them dry completely.
- Wad up newspapers and shove the paper to the back of the refrigerator. Place the wadded up newspaper balls on each shelf. Leave for a few days. (remember to recycle)
- Place fresh coffee ground in a small open bowl and place on each shelf or in the drawers. (toss the old coffee in the compost or in the trash – you will not want to drink it)
- Place a cotton swab soaked with vanilla inside freezer. You could also use an essential oil.
- Open a box of baking soda and place on each shelf.
I tried all of these remedies at the same time. Yes, my refrigerator was very smelly. It took a couple days to get the smell to go away. If your smelly fridge is not too bad, you may be able to clear up the problem in no time.
I hope you find these natural ways to cure a smelly fridge helpful. Do you have any tips you want to share? Leave them in the comment section below and I will add them to my post!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Kids won’t eat vegetables? I have tips that will help. - March 28, 2017
- Butterfly Feeder Tutorial with Feeding Big - March 24, 2017
- This Is How We Roll #108 - March 23, 2017