Shrimp fried rice is such a great meal to serve your family on those busy nights, or any night for that matter.
I don’t know about your family, but mine is often on the go. No matter how busy we are, I want to make sure there is a good meal on the dinner table. This shrimp fried rice recipe is one of those good for you and easy recipes that my family loves.
The holidays are coming and in my home that means there will be lots of get togethers and parties that we will be attending. It also means there will be a lot of sweets and rich foods. Don’t get me wrong, I love all the the food that goes along with the holidays, but there are times that I want a dinner that is light and yet full of flavor. For me, that means a great fried rice dinner.
I always make sure that I have ingredients in my pantry and freezer that will help me pull a good meal together. I have at least two varieties of Mahatma rice in my pantry, I love the jasmine and the basmati varieties the best. I keep frozen vegetables and frozen shrimp on hand also. I know with these three basic ingredients, I can make a fried rice or stir fry.
- 16 ounces raw shrimp, peeled
- 3 cups cooked Mahatma rice (I used white, but you can use brown)
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 green onion, sliced diagonally
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour the sesame oil in the pan and let it heat up. Place the raw shrimp in the pan and cook for about a minute on each side, or until they are just pink (they will finish cooking when you add them to the rice). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and peas and carrots combination and fry until tender.
- Take the onion, peas and carrots out of the pan and place in a small bowl.
- Add the beaten eggs to the pan and scramble them. When the eggs are cooked, add the vegetables, rice and shrimp.
- Pour the soy sauce on top. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir and fry the rice until heated through and combined.
- Place the chicken fried rice on a platter or in a bowl, top with sesame seeds and green onions.
Shrimp Fried Rice should be on your menu for the busy holidays, or any time for that matter.
This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make, uses less than 10 ingredients, uses ingredients you probably have in your home already and it tastes great. I you don’t have shrimp in your freezer, you can easily substitute leftover chicken, pork or beef. I often leave the protein out and eat the rice dish as a side. My vegetarian daughter loves to add sautéed tofu. This is such a versatile recipe, you can adjust it to your families liking.
Make this dish your families new favorite.