Shrimp corn chowder, Big loves it. Of course, corn is the first thing out of her mouth when I ask what vegetable she would like for dinner, so why wouldn’t she love it? I think if it were up to her, she would eat corn for every meal. Do you have a family member like that?
We belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture) and every Wednesday beginning in May and ending in mid-September, we pick up fruits, vegetables and eggs from local farmers.
I love belonging to a CSA. We get to eat food that is sustainably grown and I feel good knowing that we are supporting local businesses and eating healthy.
Right now, corn is in season and we seem to get at least a dozen ears every week. What we don’t eat, I freeze for the winter. I enjoy making sure we have good food all winter long.
How to make Shrimp Corn Chowder:
Shrimp Corn Chowder
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper chopped (To reduce the heat, remove the seeds.)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb Russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 cups fresh corn off the cob - about 3 large ears (frozen is good also)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot on medium. Add onion, carrots and celery; season with salt and black pepper and cook until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add jalapeño, paprika and thyme and cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Add 3 cups water, increase heat and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce to a simmer until just tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add corn and milk; season with salt and black pepper, and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Using a hand held blender, blend until semi smooth. If you don't have a hand held blender, place about 3 cups of the corn mixture in a blender and puree, then transfer purée back to pot, stir to combine and return to medium heat; bring to a simmer. (Be very careful with the hot mixture)
Add shrimp and simmer for 2 minutes or until shellfish are opaque in center. Remove from heat and serve
I like to top my chowder with a little grated cheese and some scallions.
This shrimp corn chowder is the perfect dish to use up our summer corn bounty. It is creamy and full of flavor. I love that it is a clean eating recipe also. As you know, Big and I are working toward a more clean way of eating and living.
I know that when the weather cools off, it will find it’s way on our menu again.
Are you interested in getting rid of preservatives and chemicals in the food you feed your family? Want to take control of your health the natural way? Join my 10 Day Clean Eating Challenge today!
Here are a few more great clean eating recipes you will want to make:
Still looking for more recipes that are filled with corn? When you are finished with your bowl of shrimp corn chowder, take a moment to check out these other great recipes.
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camill
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This is How We Roll Link Party #104 - February 23, 2017
- Healthy Fats should be a part of your diet - February 21, 2017
- Chicken soup for the cold, over 30 healthy recipes for your flu or cold - February 20, 2017