If you have followed me for a while, you know that I have a crush on Ree Drummond, a.k.a. The Pioneer Woman. Although I have never met her, (I think I would die of a heart attack if I did!) I think she and I are best friends. We share the same likes as far as food goes, comfort food rocks. She love animals, I love animals. She homeschools her children, I homeschooled my daughter. She has the Marlboro Man, I have Big (well, that is not quite the same, but I am going with it!).
This potato soup has quickly moved up the list of my favorite recipes. My other Potato Soup recipe was a slow cooker recipe and it was fantastic. Ree Drummond’s recipe can be made and on the table in less than an hour! What more could you ask for?
- 6 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 3 whole Carrots, Scrubbed Clean And Diced
- 3 stalks Celery, Diced
- 6 whole Small Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
- 8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle powder (or to taste)
- 1 cup Grated Cheese Of Your Choice
- Add bacon pieces to a soup pot over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered. Remove the bacon from the pot and set it aside. Pour off most of the grease, but do not clean the pot.
- Return the hot to medium-high heat and add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for 2 minutes or so, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper.
- Pour in the broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are starting to get tender. Whisk together the flour and the milk, then pour into the soup and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove 1/2 to 2/3 the soup and blend in a blender/food process until completely smooth. Pour it back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Let it heat back up as you taste for seasonings, adding more of what it needs. Stir in cream.
- Serve in bowls garnished with parsley, grated cheese and crisp bacon pieces.
- Ree Drummond added some cajun spices to her soup. I chose to add some Chipotle powder.
If you are looking for more soup recipes, why don’t you head over to these great sites!
As always, I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you try this wonderful recipe. If you do, let me know! I would love to hear about it.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best Fruit Kabobs Ever #July4Recipes - June 27, 2017
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bar Recipe, with cherries (GF, Vegan) - June 26, 2017
- The best nachos recipe, Cowboy Nachos #SundaySupper - June 25, 2017