Have you ever wondered, “Why should I choose pesticide free fruits and vegetables?”
I have had discussions with people who have asked me that question when they see me in the organic section of the store. They ask why I would pay for fruits and vegetables that are more expensive and yet look the same.
After taking a deep breath, I share my thoughts with them.
Here are my thoughts on why I choose pesticide free fruits and vegetables.
- I don’t want to ingest chemicals. It has been shown that there can be over 47 chemicals (up to 67) on fruits and vegetables that are conventionally grown.
- The chemicals that are in the “dirty” foods have been linked to many diseases. Diseases such as: birth defects, breast, prostate, and other hormone-related cancers. (According to the EPA)
- I choose organic because the vegetables and fruit are grown with no chemicals.
- Another reason I choose organic is because of the effect the chemicals have on the earth. Pesticide and herbicide use contaminates groundwater, ruins soil structures and promotes erosion.
Take a few minutes and head over to the Consumer Reports site and play with their tool that gives you the levels of pesticides in foods from various countries. There is so much great information at that site.
The Dirty Dozen Plus
- Sweet bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Hot peppers
- Kale/collard greens
Here is the list of foods that you don’t have to buy organic, also known as the “Clean 15.”
The Clean 15
- Sweet corn
- Sweet peas (frozen)
- Honeydew melon
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Grilled Cajun Chicken #RecipeMakover - April 25, 2017
- Recipe Makeover, 40+ bloggers sharing healthy recipes and a giveaway - April 24, 2017
- Mexican Corn and Shrimp Skillet, ready in about 15 minutes - April 24, 2017