This French Onion Dip was made from fresh ingredients. It is not the French Onion dip my mother used to make. Although I loved the dip my mom made (a mixture of sour cream and a package of Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix), this dip far surpasses it.
Family Night, get togethers and holidays are all times that I love to put some great tasting appetizers on the table for everyone to nosh on. French Onion Dip will put a smile on anyones face. This dip takes a little while to make, but it is well worth the time spent. You can easily make it a couple days before your family night or holiday event and keep it refrigerated. It is so much better the second and third day.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Cups thinly sliced onion
- 3/4 Cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 Cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Potato chips, for serving
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions. Cover and cook until onions are deep golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and sour cream in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in the cooled caramelized onions, salt, and pepper. Cover dip and refrigerate until flavors blend, about 2 hours.
I will make a little confession to you – there are days when I could make a meal of this dip and some chips. It really is that good.
If you are looking for more dip recipes, take a minute to look at these:
Buffalo Bacon Dip by Organized 31
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Butterfly Feeder Tutorial with Feeding Big - March 24, 2017
- This Is How We Roll #108 - March 23, 2017
- Vitamin C Supplement benefits are many, add it to your day - March 21, 2017