You know the old saying, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” Well, life has given me a lot of lemons lately. What have I done? I made Meyer Lemon Bars!
It has been a long time since I have made lemon bars. I distinctly remember Big saying they were on the list of, “not my favorites.” Being the good person that I am, Lemon Bars didn’t find their way into the kitchen very often. Let me tell you, these are so good, that even Big has had a change of heart and has asked to have the make a come back!
You remember the recipe I shared not too long ago for Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake, don’t you? I had a few Meyer Lemons left over, so I decided to give Paula Deen’s Lemon Bar recipe a try.
These lemon bars are sweet and tart at the same time. The crust is a perfect shortbread, it is buttery and melts in your mouth!
Meyer Lemon Bars
- For the Crust
- 2 pieces sticks unsalted butter cut into and at room temperature, plus more to butter the dish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar plus more for dusting
- Pinch of Salt
- For the filling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice I used Meyer Lemon Juice
Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9X13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil and butter the foil.
Make the crust: Whisk the flour, confectioner's sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with your fingers to make a crumbly dough; press into the prepared baking dish. Bake 20 minutes, then transfer to a rack and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, make the filling: Mix the eggs, granulated sugar and flour in a bowl with a fork. Mix in the lemon juice. Pour the filling over the crust and bake 25 more minutes, transfer to a rack and let cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Lift out of the pan and cut into pieces.
Recipe NotesI used Meyer Lemons in place of regular lemons.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe withCrispy Chicken Wings - February 17, 2017
- This is How We Roll Link Party #103 - February 16, 2017
- Are Probiotics for you?They are for more than healing your gut - February 14, 2017