Mac n’ Cheese soup is comfort food in a bowl! I strongly believe that a woman can never have enough diamonds or cheese! Since I can’t afford a lot of diamonds, I make sure I have enough cheese in the house to make me happy.
When I saw this recipe in the Cuisine at Home magazine, I knew it was something I would have to make. I mean really, who doesn’t love Mac n’ Cheese? Put it in soup form and you have a fantastic meal that will warm you up and make you feel like all is well in the world.
- 1/2 cups dry elbow macaroni (6 oz)
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 crumbled blue cheese (for garnish)
- Cook macaroni in a pot of salted water according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Sweat onion and celery in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour to coat and cook 1 minute. Deglaze with wine and simmer until nearly evaporated. Stir in broth, nutmeg and cayenne. Simmer until slightly thickened, 5 minutes, then whisk in milk and war through. Do not let boil or base will become grainy.
- Add cheddar, 1 cup at a time, allowing the cheese to melt completely before adding the next cup. Stir in macaroni and salt; remove from heat.
- Garnish with blue cheese
This recipe makes a large pot of soup. Since there are just two of us, I will be enjoying some as leftovers. I loved this soup just as it is, but I was thinking that it could easily be changed up.
Here are a few toppings you might want to try:
- Crushed Saltines
- Grated Cheese (you can never have to much cheese!)
- Sour Cream
Try a few of these add ins:
- Chopped ham
- Corn kernels
- Ground Beef
- Frozen or canned Mixed Vegetables
So, as you can see, this recipe can be very versatile and you can make it the way your family loves it. Trust me, your family will love it!
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these:
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Healthy Honey Oatmeal Cookies #BackToSchoolRecipes - July 19, 2017
- Bunnies in the Garden at lunch time #Backtoschoolrecipes - July 17, 2017
- Use fresh herbs for cooking, reasons why and a few recipes - July 13, 2017