Lemon Coconut Macaroons are my contribution to the Fill The Cookie Jar event. Each month few of my blogging friends and I get together and bake cookies and bars based on a theme.
March’s theme was a varied one. March has St. Patrick’s Day, Spring and Easter all rolled in the one very busy month. We all decided we could choose whichever one of these themes called to us.
St. Patrick’s Day is a great theme, but I decided to go with Spring. To me Spring is sweet and fresh and full of new beginnings. I chose these lemon macaroons, because they seemed to encompass all of those things.
Here are a few things I love about macaroons, especially lemon coconut macaroons:
- They are so easy to make
- They are chewy on the inside and have a bit of a crunch on the outside (love those brown pieces)
- They require ingredients you probably have in your home.
- They store well and can be easily frozen (if you have any left)
- 2/3 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups of sweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, the egg white, fresh lemon juice, vanilla extract and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Add the coconut and lemon zest. Stir well.
- Using a large spoon or a cookie scoop, place about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooking rack. Let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Remove the cookies and place on a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze these.
I really enjoy making cookies that I know will stay well in the freezer. When I go on a baking spree, you just never know how many sweets we will end up with! I am glad to know that I can freeze these and not waste them.
Before you get started making this recipe, you may want to make sure you have these kitchen items pulled out of the cabinets and within close reach. Don’t be like me, I forget to be prepared for my baking adventure and then I waste time while looking for these items. (These items may have affiliate links, please read my disclosure)
What you need to make Lemon Coconut Macaroons
- Silpat baking sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Large cookie sheet
- Wooden spoons or other mixing spoons
- Cookie Scoop
What are your favorite cookies to bake for the spring? Let me know by leaving a comment below. Also, make sure you stop by to see what the other bakers have been up to the their kitchens.
Would you like to be a member of the Fill The Cookie Jar Group? We all have so much fun. If you are a blogger and want to join – take a moment to fill out this form and I will get you added to the Facebook group and you can share your recipe in April!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This Is How We Roll Thursday Link Party #86 - October 20, 2016
- Why I have a Breast Cancer Awareness Christmas Tree - October 20, 2016
- Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe – A Clean Eating Recipe - October 19, 2016