This post is sponsored by McCormick in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are those of the individual bloggers.
Jambalaya with shrimp and crispy chicken wings is my families go to recipe when Mardi Gras rolls around. My recipe is made with Zatarain’s original jambalaya mix which helps me to make the perfect Mardi Gras meal every time.
I have always wanted to visit New Orleans, but have never gotten the chance. Many years ago, we drove from Texas to Florida and stopped in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I ordered Jambalaya for the very first time and fell in love with the dish as soon as I tasted it.
My daughter was lucky enough to attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans one year. She loved all of the parades, the music and especially the food. She came home with beads around her neck and stories of all of the fun she had. I don’t think I ever realized that in New Orleans, Mardi Gras was a major holiday. The season is celebrated for 2 fun weeks before Fat Tuesday. That also means 2 weeks of great meals too!
Jambalaya is a meal in itself and can be tweaked to make it a dish your family will love. My version of jambalaya is filled with shrimp and chicken wings. There is so much history in this wonderful dish. Many think of jambalaya as a version of paella. There are influences of Spanish, French, Italian and even Africa flavors in each dish. You can taste the flavor influences of all of these countries at first bite.
I always use Zatarain’s jambalaya mix when making my jambalaya with shrimp and crispy chicken wings recipe. I know that the dish will cook up perfectly in less than 30 minutes and that it will be seasoned how my family loves it every time I make it. I also love that I can easily double it when I have a crowd.
- 3 Tbl. Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1 package Zatarain's Original Jambalaya Mix
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 chicken wings
- 2 TBL. parsley, chopped (optional)
- Mix salt, pepper and onion powder and rub on chicken wings. Heat oil in a dutch oven or other heavy pan. Place chicken wing pieces in the oil and fry until dark on each side (about 5 minutes each side). Remove from pan and place on a plate for later.
- Place onion in the dutch oven and saute until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth and Jambalaya mix. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp. Place the cooked chicken wings on top of the rice mixture, cover and cook for about 10 minutes longer.
- Let rest about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Zatarain’s makes it easy to bring the taste of New Orleans to my kitchen and family. Can you believe this year Zatarain’s has been in business for 125 years! I encourage you to check out the Zatarain’s website for more information on the company:
- Chicken Jambalaya Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Jambalaya Cajun Shrimp Bites from Daily Dish Recipes
- Skillet Jambalaya Dip from Life Tastes Good
- Tex Mex Jambalaya Taco Cups from Flavor Mosaic
- Chicken and Sausage Jamburritos from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chicken and Shrimp Quinoa Jambalaya from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya from Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Crock Pot Creole Jambalaya from Flour On My Face
- Easy Jambalaya Stuffed Peppers from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Hawaiian Jambalaya from Shockingly Delicious
- Jambalaya Lettuce Wraps from Magnolia Days
- Jambalaya Pasta with Crawfish and Sausage from Bobbi’s Kozi Kitchen
- Jambalaya Salad Bowl from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Jambalaya Stuffed Baked Potatoes from Fearless Dining
- Jambalaya with Shrimp and Crispy Wings from Feeding Big
- Portuguese Style Jambalaya from Family Foodie
- Spicy Chicken Jambalaya with Sausages and Green Beans from Panning the Globe
- Turkey Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya from Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Jambalaya Stuffed Red Peppers Casserole from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Zatarain’s Roasted Chicken with Jambalaya Stuffing from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Plus Versatile Jambalaya Recipes plus Seafood Jambalaya Frittata from Sunday Supper Movement
Have you signed the #SundaySupper pledge to eat together as a family? Do it right here!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- How To Make Clean Eating Stacked Enchiladas - August 24, 2016
- 26 of the best Clean Eating Salad Dressing Recipes - August 22, 2016
- This is How We Roll Link Party #77 - August 18, 2016