I love Shortbread cookies. I am not really sure I need to say much more than that. Of course, I will, as Big would say, I talk a lot! I have always loved Shortbread! There is something wonderful about all that buttery goodness that melts in your mouth! These cookies are good on their own, with a cup of tea or a cup of coffee!
I had originally thought I would make a green cookie for this months Fill The Cookie Jar share, but when I saw the Irish Butter Shortbread recipe on the Martha Stewart website, I knew this would be the cookie for me!
Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter was my choice of butter. I know it is a little expensive, but it was worth it. These cookies truly do melt in your mouth. If you use a high fat butter like Kerrygold, make sure you don’t let it sit on the counter for longer than 15 minutes or so.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Irish unsalted butter, room temperature (I used 1 pound of Kerrygold Butter)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. With the mixer on low, slowly add flour. Continue mixing until dough comes together to form a ball.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface; roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thickness, dusting rolling pin with flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Using a 2 1/4-inch round, fluted cutter, cut out dough. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart. Gather up any scraps, gently re-roll, and repeat cutting process. Take care not to overwork dough.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake until shortbread just begins to turn golden, about 15 to 25 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. Shortbread may be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days, if they last that long.
- Make sure you don't take this butter out too far in advance. Irish Butter has a high fat content and will break down quickly.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best Fruit Kabobs Ever #July4Recipes - June 27, 2017
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bar Recipe, with cherries (GF, Vegan) - June 26, 2017
- The best nachos recipe, Cowboy Nachos #SundaySupper - June 25, 2017