Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie is one of those comfort food meals that everyone in the family will love!
I remember being young in the 60’s and 70’s and having this wonderful cheeseburger in a pie meal. (Hmmm…I just aged myself!) My Mother wanted to be “hip” and all of the cool Moms were making this and other “convenience” foods that required Biscuick. This meal was a hit in my family then and it is a hit with my family now.
What could be easier than frying up some hamburger, mixing up a few other ingredients and popping it in the oven?
One thing that I do a little differently than the recipe calls for is use my homemade Baking Mix. The Baking Mix is much like Bisquick, but it is made with butter. I love pretty much anything with butter! I keep a container of the baking mix in the refrigerator most of the time. I love, love, love Cheese Biscuits (just like Red Lobster) made with the mix. Check out the recipe for the baking mix by clicking on any of the highlighted areas.
I have seen many variations of this meal. Some have use left over meatloaf instead of ground beef. I have seen additions of mushroom, green peppers, green chiles, frozen peas, frozen mixed veggies and more. I have never tried any of these variations, I am a tried and true kind of girl and like it as the recipe states.
Hmmmm…..I just read that someone added bacon! Now I may have to give that a try! Who doesn’t love bacon?
- 1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz) (Can use low fat)
- 1/2 cup Original Bisquick™ mix (or use my Homemade Baking Mix)
- 1 cup skim milk*
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- In skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in salt.
- Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or wire whisk until blended.
- Pour into pie plate over the beef and cheese mixture.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- *The original recipe calls for whole milk, I like to use skim.
In case you are wanting to try my Homemade Baking Mix – click HERE.
Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie not creating a stir in your stomach? Try one of these recipes made with Biscuick from a few of my blogging friends.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Cinnamon Honey Sweet Potato Chips, a clean eating recipe - January 13, 2017
- This Is How We Roll Thursday #98 - January 12, 2017
- Cauliflower Buffalo Bites, a vegan version of buffalo wings - January 10, 2017