Iced Lemon Cookies are my addition to the Fill the Cookie Jar monthly event. Each month a few blogging friends and I get together and bake cookies based on a theme. This month our theme is Spring.
Spring is my favorite time of the years. I love to garden and much of what I plant in the garden are perennials (plants that come back every year). I enjoy seeing the green shoots of my favorites popping up through the dirt.
If I had to equate a flavor with spring, it would be lemon. Lemon is so bright, just like the sun.
These iced lemon cookies are easy to make and you can cut them in any shape you like. I chose a couple flower shapes. The icing really makes the lemon flavor of these cookies pop. Don’t get me wrong, you can eat them without the icing, but I really love them with it.
How to make Iced Lemon Cookies:
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking power
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar (I use Dixie Crystal)
- Orange colored sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Add in 1/2 cups to shortening mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with a floured cookie cutter.
- Place on cookie sheet, 1 inch apart.
- Bake 6 - 8 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Beat create cheese, shortening and extracts till blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Spread over the cookies and top with colored sugar.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This Is How We Roll Thursday Link Party #86 - October 20, 2016
- Why I have a Breast Cancer Awareness Christmas Tree - October 20, 2016
- Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe – A Clean Eating Recipe - October 19, 2016