The best homemade enchilada sauce recipe is right here! I promise you – you must try this recipe.
I wanted to make stacked enchiladas for dinner, but didn’t want to use a canned sauce. As part of our clean eating/clean eating way of life, I am keeping away from most foods that are canned.
With that in mind, I began a search on the internet for a great homemade enchilada sauce. I have to admit, I was bit saddened by the recipes that were there. Many (most) were water based with chile powder and flour!
Really? Chile powder, flour and water? Are you kidding me? I lived in the Southwest long enough to know that this is not the authentic way to make enchilada sauce!
Of course real authentic enchilada sauce is made with ancho chile peppers, but since I didn’t have any of those around, I tried this version of sauce.
How to make homemade enchilada sauce:
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 pint homemade tomato sauce (or 1 16 ounce can of sauce)
- 3 Tablespoons chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 ounce Mexican chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed (I use organic from Bob's Red Mill)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chicken Stock (May not be necessary)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon and chocolate (if using), brown sugar and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. I found the sauce to be pretty thick, so I added a bit of chicken stock to think it out a little. Depending on the type of tomato sauce you use, you may not have to thin this out.
- Taste and add more spices as necessary.
- Use right away or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
If you don’t have fresh tomato sauce, please look for organic sauce that is in a can that is BPA free. You can also easily make some tomato sauce if you have the time. As you can see in the recipe, I added a little cinnamon and Mexican chocolate. I love the flavors those two ingredients add. It reminds me of Mole – one of my favorite sauces ever!
I used this homemade enchilada sauce to make vegetarian stacked enchiladas. The sauce was so rich and thick and full of good spicy flavor.
This recipe is one that will be used many times. I love that it is quick and easy. Let me know if you try it and give me a shout out about it. I would love to know what you think.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Butterfly Feeder Tutorial with Feeding Big - March 24, 2017
- This Is How We Roll #108 - March 23, 2017
- Vitamin C Supplement benefits are many, add it to your day - March 21, 2017