Homemade cinnamon apple chips are something new to Big and me. Admittedly, I have never been much of a fruit lover. Now that we are eating clean and real food, I have been doing my best to eat more fruit.
Right now, apples are abundant where we live. Head to the Farmers Market and you will find farmer after farmer selling various types of apples.
We don’t buy apples – we are lucky enough to have 5 apple trees on our property. The previous owners of our home must have loved apples. Personally, I would have never thought to plant an apple tree in my yard. As I said, I have never been fond of fruit. That being said, I am glad we have them.
I have acquired a new love of all things apple. This homemade apple chips recipe is so easy to make and so yummy. I snack on these chips at night when I crave something sweet. The natural sweetness satisfies my urge.
HOMEMADE CINNAMON APPLE CHIPS
Since we didn’t plant the trees, we don’t really know what variety the apples are. We do know, however, that there are at least two different varieties.
When you decide to dehydrate your apples, you might want to think about the flavors that each variety offers.
Here are a couple tips I would recommend when making cinnamon apple chips:
- Use a mandoline to slice them (you want even slices)
- Use a small cookie cutter to cut the core out of the center
Of course, there are many different mandolines out there. Make sure you choose the one that you are most comfortable with and watch your fingers!
Here is how to make homemade cinnamon apple chips in the dehydrator
Cinnamon Apple Chips (in the dehydrator)
- 3 - 4 Apples any variety
- ground cinnamon
Wash the apples and slice off the top (stem side).
Using a mandoline, slice the apples and lay on sheet of parchment paper. (If you don't have a mandoline, slice the apples 1/8 to 1/4" thin)
Using a small cookie cutter, cut out the core of the apple.
Lay the apple slices on the dehydrator rack trying to not overlap the slices.
Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Dehydrate for up to 24 hours or until leathery.
HOMEMADE APPLE CHIPS RECIPE
Plain apple chips were also made. Using apple chips with no cinnamon are great for baking. Of course, these healthy apple chips are perfect for snacks and lunches also.
Wondering what to do with your abundance of homemade cinnamon apple chips?
Here are a few ideas:
- Add them to your favorite trail mix recipe.
- Carry a bag full on long car trips or at anytime you think you will want/need a snack and can’t get to one easily.
- Chop them up and add to oatmeal. Add a few nuts and top with maple syrup or honey.
- Chop and add to pancake mix, waffle mix, cookie batter (soak the dried apples for about 15 min. in hot water first).
- Use them in your favorite granola.
- Top your favorite salad with them.
If you are wondering about my dehydrator – I have a Presto Dehydro. I researched food dehydrators to find one that would fit all of my needs. I am really in love with this dehydrator. I have dried bell peppers, jalapeños, red peppers and garlic. The Presto Dehydro is worth the money!
I would love to hear if you use a dehydrator. What do you use it for? Have you always wanted one – I have for years.
Love homemade cinnamon apple chips? You will love these apple recipes also:
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Best Fruit Kabobs Ever #July4Recipes - June 27, 2017
- Oatmeal Breakfast Bar Recipe, with cherries (GF, Vegan) - June 26, 2017
- The best nachos recipe, Cowboy Nachos #SundaySupper - June 25, 2017