Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables is the perfect Sunday or any day dinner. I found this recipe in the It’s All Greek to Me cookbook by Debbie Matenopoulos.
Chicken is such a versatile protein and we have it often during the week. This herb roasted chicken recipe is now a new favorite. The combination of parsley, thyme and oregano is perfect.
If you are a regular reader of Feeding Big, you will remember previous recipes I shared from this wonderful book. Baked Cod with Lemon Parsley Sauce and Zucchini Fritters are just a couple of the recipes that I have made. Debbie’s book is filled with mouthwatering recipes that I know my family will love.
- 1 roasting chicken, 4 1/2 to 6 pounds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 4 large lemons (1 of them zested)
- 10 sprigs fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled, divided
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into thick slices
- 3 carrots, scrubbed clean, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 large fennel bulb (or 2 small), tops removed and sliced into larger wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Thoroughly rinse the chicken under cold water, inside and out. Pat the chicken very dry inside and out with paper towels. Tuck the wing tips under the body. Season the cavity with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Slice the zested lemon in half, and place in the cavity along with parsley and thyme sprigs and 3 cloves of the garlic. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Set chicken aside at room temperature.
- Add the remaining 3 cloves of garlic, chopped parsley, thyme leaves, dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper to the bowl of a food processors. With the motor running, slowly pouring the olive oil until the mixture just comes together. Stir in the lemon zest. Alternatively, you can mash the garlic, seasonings and oil together with a mortar and pestle. Set the herb mixture aside.
- Distribute the onions, carrots and fennel even only onto the bottom of a large roasting pan, and season them with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Slice 2 of the remaining lemons into large wedges and distribute them among the vegetables. Rub the chicken (top, bottom, sides) evenly with the herb mixture, making sure not to miss any nooks or crannies. For added measure, if desired, very carefully loosen the skin over the breast, and rub some of the herb mixture between the skin and the breast meat. Set the chicken on top of the vegetables in the pan and roast for 1 1/2 hours or until the juices run clear when you make a small slice bewteen a thigh and a leg.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetable to a large serving dish and cover with foil to rest for 20 minutes so the juices can settle. After 20 minutes, remove the foil, cut the twine around the legs and discard the contents of the cavity.
- Carve the chicken and serve it with the vegetables and the remaining lemon cut into wedges for garnish.
Debbie Matenopoulos shares not only great recipes, but also wonderful tales of what life in Greece is like. There are such great tales of the wonderful people and the great food, that you will want to head over to Greece and become a part of the Greek Philotimo! Don’t know what that means? Sign up to win a copy of the cookbook now!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Grilled Cajun Chicken #RecipeMakover - April 25, 2017
- Recipe Makeover, 40+ bloggers sharing healthy recipes and a giveaway - April 24, 2017
- Mexican Corn and Shrimp Skillet, ready in about 15 minutes - April 24, 2017