Healthy apple cinnamon muffins are a new favorite here at the Feeding Big house. The muffins are easy to make and are full of apple cinnamon flavor.
Big and I have made a decision to get back to clean eating. Now, don’t get me wrong, we don’t eat horribly, but we could eat better.
These healthy apple cinnamon muffins are made with oatmeal and greek yogurt. Those ingredients make these a high protein muffin which would be great for breakfast, brunch or a snack. I love starting my day off with a breakfast that is high in protein. I know I will have a lot of energy for the rest of the day.
I bet your children would love one of these when they get home from school. As a Mom, you will feel good about serving these with a glass of whole milk and a piece of fruit. Since the muffins are sweet (from applesauce and a small amount of brown sugar) your little ones will may not realize how healthy they are.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (do not use quick oats)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and grated (I used an apple from Sage Fruit)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Add in yogurt, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla, and grated apple, stirring until well-combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups, filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until top is firm to the touch and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
When choosing what type of apple you should use, I would suggest a sweeter version. I used an apple from Sage Fruit and was very happy with the results. The apples are crisp and sweet and had a little extra juice in them and I thought it made the muffins moister.
I really do hope you will give these muffins a try. They are so delicious. Shhh….. don’t tell anyone, but I hid on at the back of the refrigerator for a late night snack!
Make sure you take a few minutes to see what the other Brunch Week home cooks are sharing this week.
- Bluberry Mint Julep by The Suburban Soapbox
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Lemon-Glazed Banana and Candied Ginger Scones by The Texan New Yorker
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins by Feeding Big and more
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts by The Chef Next Door
- Braided Pepperoni Pizza Bread by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- French Toast with Apple Compote and Caramel Syrup by The Redhead Baker
- Lemon Sticky Buns by The Barbee Housewife
- Same Day Mock Liege Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple and Caramelized Onion Tart by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Tropical Smoothie by Gluten Free Crumbley
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Breakfast Burger by Cooking In Stilettos
- Fiddlehead, Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Quiche by Palatable Pastime
- Poached Eggs on Asparagus Bundled with Prosciutto on Cheesy Polenta by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Baked Seafood Stuffed Avocados by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Fried Chicken Biscuits and Gravy Sandwich by From Gate to Plate
- Kielbasa Welsh Rarebit by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pulled Pork Pancakes by Brunch-n-Bites
- Sausage and Fried Apples by Making Miracles
- Brie and Raspberry Tarts by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Lemon Meringue Angel Food Cake by Love & Confections
- Lemon Zucchini Bread by Sweet Beginnings
- Orange Cheesecake With Caramel Rum Sauce by Wholistic Woman
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Vidalia Onion Committee, Sage Fruits, Nielsen-Massey, KitchenIQ, and Le Creuset for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek. All opinions are my own.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Not your everyday Oatmeal Raisin Almond Cookies #ChristmasCookie - December 6, 2016
- How to Make the Most Delicious Eggnog Scones #SundaySupper - December 4, 2016
- Need more sleep?How to do it and why you should - December 2, 2016