Shrimp has been something I have always wanted to try grilling. I usually grill plain old hamburgers and chicken. Boring!
Now, don’t get me wrong, I enjoy grilling as much as the next person, but I never really got into it. Lately it seems all I want to do is grill. When I saw this Grilled Shrimp recipe in Cook’s Country recipe, I knew I had to try it.
The marinade for this shrimp recipe is simple yet full of flavor. Olive oil, lime and a few spices, what could be simpler? The citrus of the lime adds just enough acid to the shrimp and it seems to bring out the sweet flavor of the shrimp.
When you make this recipe, make sure you really pack the shrimp tightly on the skewers, that way they are easier to flip and won’t overcook as easy. I used bamboo skewers that I had soaked in water for an hour or so, but you could use metal also.
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest, plus 5 Tablespoons lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 per pound) peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Mixed all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Reserve about 2 Tablespoons of marinade for finishing the shrimp.
- For the shrimp
- Pat shrimp dry with paper towels (marinade won't water down) and add to the marinade. Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Thread shrimp tightly onto skewers. Sprinkle one side of the shrimp skewer with sugar.
- Grill shrimp, sugar side first, for about 3 to 4 minutes at the hotest part of the grill.
- Flip the skewers and move to the cooler area of the grill.
- Grill an additional 1 or 2 minutes.
- When the shrimp are cooked, remove from the skewers and place in a bowl. Top with the reserved marinade and the cilantro. Mix and serve.
- Do not marinate shrimp (or any fish) for longer than an hour. The fish will begin to "cook" the shrimp.
The flavor of the shrimp is just wonderful! As I was eating the shrimp, I began to think of a few other things you could use them for. How about using them in a Shrimp Taco? What about a Po-Boy? What would you do with them?
Have you got grilling on the mind now? Is this not the recipe for you? Here are a couple links to some other grilling recipes I have recently made:
Can’t get enough grilling or shrimp recipes? Here are a couple more from a few of my friends!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This Is How We Roll Thursday Link Party #86 - October 20, 2016
- Why I have a Breast Cancer Awareness Christmas Tree - October 20, 2016
- Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe – A Clean Eating Recipe - October 19, 2016