Grilled cheese with apple and peppered bacon is one of our favorite sandwiches to make and eat. Especially in the fall.
To me, a grilled cheese sandwich is comfort food at it’s finest. I remember being young and my father bringing me a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup when I was not feeling well. When I eat a grilled cheese sandwich, I always think of him.
Since Big and I are following a clean eating lifestyles, I have updated my classic grilled cheese sandwich. I will always make the classic, but this grilled cheese with apple and peppered bacon is on the list of favorite foods.
I used 100% whole wheat bread, but you could use any type of bread you want. I was worried the wheat bread taste would overwhelm the sandwich, but it didn’t.
When it came to deciding what type of cheese to use I knew I wanted to use a white cheese. Yellow or orange cheese is dyed and we are cutting out items that are not meant to be in our food.
My cheese of choice was Cabot’s seriously sharp cheddar. Let me tell you, I love Cabot cheese!
On to the bacon I used. I have been switching to processed meats that are uncured. We don’t really eat many lunch meats, but we do love bacon. This is, to me, a healthier way to eat bacon.
I baked the bacon. I think baking the bacon is one of the best ways to prepare it. The bacon comes out crisp and flat. It is so much easier to cook with. All you need is some parchment paper and a nice big cookie sheet with high rims.
Bake the bacon for about 15 to 30 minutes. The time will depend on they thickness of the bacon. I have these sheet from Farberware and I love it. I use is for so many of my recipes.
Here is how to make Grilled Cheese with Apple and Peppered Bacon:
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 or 2 slices sharp cheddar
- 2 slices bacon, baked
- 1/2 apple, sliced thinly
- 2 - 3 tsp. butter
- Butter the two slices of bread.
- Lay one slice of bread, butter side down, in an iron skillet.
- Top with cheese, apple slices and bacon.
- Lay the second slice of bread on top, butter side up.
- Turn the stove on to medium and cook 2 or 3 minutes until cheese begins to melt, flip over and cook till bread is nice and brown.
- It will take the second side less time to cook since the pan is hot.
- When nice and brown, lift onto a cutting board and slice in half.
Looking for more great apple recipes like this Grilled Cheese with Apple and Peppered Bacon?
1 Minute Caramel Apple Dip by Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Brown Betty by A Palatable Pastime
Apple Bundt Cake With Cider Caramel by Cooking With Carlee
Apple Cinnamon Shortcakes by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Apple Crisp Shortbread Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Apple Fritters by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Apple Pie Skillet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Caramelized Apple and Bacon Jam Crostini by Caroline’s Cooking
Creamy Peanut Butter Apple Dip by New South Charm
Individual Apple Crisp by Family Around The Table
Smoky Apple Pulled Pork by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Slow Cooker Apple Butter by The Crumby Cupcake
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This Is How We Roll Thursday Link Party #86 - October 20, 2016
- Why I have a Breast Cancer Awareness Christmas Tree - October 20, 2016
- Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe – A Clean Eating Recipe - October 19, 2016