Gingery Chicken Legs is one of the many chicken recipes I have been making lately. Food is so expensive right now and I am busy doing what I can to keep my grocery costs down. I am finding that chicken is so versatile and also so frugal.
This chicken recipe cost well under $5.00. I got the chicken quarters on sale for $.59 per pound and there were 10 pounds in the bag. I used 3 chicken quarters (you can use what you want, just make sure you double the recipe). The three quarters should be enough to feed 2 adults and 1 or two children.
The most expensive item in the recipe is the red curry paste. I paid around $3.50 for it. I am sure you can watch for a sale and get it cheaper.
This is an easy recipe to make. Just mix the few ingredients, marinate the chicken and bake. I made a Mango salad to go with it. In order to keep the meal simple and easy, I used frozen mango instead of fresh. If you have time to cut up a fresh mango the recipe may have a little more flavor. I am not really sure about that. If you try it, let me know.
Gingery chicken legs have a bit of heat to them. This comes from the red curry paste. I didn’t find it to be too hot and I think that children would love this dish as well as adults.
- Fresh ginger, 1 inch
- 5 1/2 ounce mild curry paste
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 lb chicken legs
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- Peel and grate the ginger. In the baking dish combine the curry paste, ginger and greek yogurt. Cut through the skin of each chicken leg 4 times, 1/4 inch apart. Put the chicken in the yogurt mixture, rub the mixture in. Cover and let marinate for 1 hour and 30 minutes in the refrigerator* and then 20 minutes at room temperature. While the chicken is sitting at room temperature, preheat the oven to 400 degree. Bake the chicken about 50 minutes. Prepare the rice according to package directions. Serve the chicken with the rice.
- *I let the chicken marinate over night
So, if you are looking for a quick, easy and healthy chicken recipe, this recipe for Gingery Chicken Legs is for you. Here are a few things to remember.
- Only 4 ingredients
- Uses greek yogurt (high in protein, low in calories)
- Can be started the night before and cooked in under one hour
- Chicken leg quarters are inexpensive
- The whole family will love it
As I am writing this post, I am wondering if this could be made in the slow cooker? What do you think? Do you think the yogurt would separate?
Looking for more great easy recipes? How about these:
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Butterfly Feeder Tutorial with Feeding Big - March 24, 2017
- This Is How We Roll #108 - March 23, 2017
- Vitamin C Supplement benefits are many, add it to your day - March 21, 2017