Spaghetti sauce with meat is a frugal family meal recipe that has been in my family for years and was passed on to me from my Mother. She learned it from a friend who was from Italy while she was still a young bride. My Mother is from Germany and moved to the United States when she was in her mid-twenties after marrying a debonair young American in the Military. We have all heard stories like this haven’t we? She struggled to learn to cook “American” for my Father.
Anyway, my Mother didn’t have a lot of practice cooking when she was young. She grew up during WWII and often didn’t have much, if anything, to eat. After the war, things got slowly better, but my Grandmother was always the ruler in the kitchen. I don’t know if she taught my Mother many recipes. I do know that when I asked my Oma to teach me a few recipes, all should could tell me was to add a pinch of this or a pinch of that! It is pretty hard to follow a recipe like that!
This spaghetti with meat sauce recipe is a tried and true recipe. It has made it’s way to my families table at least once a month. We all just love it. It is rich with tomato flavor and meaty, a real stick to your bones dinner. Plus, it is not only a frugal family dinner, it is one that you can make and easily freeze for later! What is not to love about a meal like that?
- 1/2 pound high end ground beef
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, 14.5 ounces each (I also use tomatoes I have frozen from my garden)
- 1 can tomato paste, 6 ounce
- 2 cups water (can add more, depending on how thick/thin you would like your sauce)
- 3 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning (Can add more or less - to your taste)
- 2 - 3 cloves of fresh Garlic (this can also be adjusted)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fry hamburger in a medium size skillet. Drain the fat from the meat.
- Place the hamburger, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic and Italian herbs in a large saucepan (I often make this in the slow cooker.)
- Bring to a slow boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 2 hours. If you are using the slow cooker, cook on low for about 6 - 8 hours.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste near the end of the cooking time.
- This is a dish that tastes best when it was made the day before serving it!
- 1 small can of mushrooms
- Fresh sautéed mushrooms
- Sautéed union
- Use Italian sweet sausage instead of hamburger or mix with hamburger
I hope you will consider trying this frugal family meal. I think it may become one of your families new favorites.
Here is the cost break down of this meal:
- Ground beef = $1.89
- 2 Cans Chopped Tomatoes = $2.46
- 1 can Tomato Paste = $.69
- Italian Herbs, salt, pepper = $.02
- Total cost = $5.06, cost per person = $.62
Please remember, these costs can vary depending on where you live, sales, and brands.
Thanks for stopping by! See you soon.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Peppermint Meringues (Gluten Free) #ChristmasCookies - December 9, 2016
- This is How We Roll #93 - December 8, 2016
- Not your everyday Oatmeal Raisin Almond Cookies #ChristmasCookie - December 6, 2016