Fresh taco salad is a go to meal in our house every summer. Well, I must admit, we have it in the cooler weather too. My family loves salads and this one is a favorite. Salads are easy to make and so good for you. During the summer, avocados are usually on sale, so I try to use them often.
I know there are many great recipes out there for taco salads, but this one has something in it that many others don’t. It is Jicama. Have you ever tried Jicama? My first time trying this wonderful root vegetable was about 20 years ago. I was walking along a back street in Mexico and a street vendor offered me a slice. I squirted a little lime juice on it and then sprinkled it with some chile powder. Oh my, was it ever good. Jicama has a nice crunch to it and when cold is very refreshing.
Back to the salad! My daughter is a vegetarian, so this salad is great for her also. One serving contains about 10 grams of protein.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens (about 1 bag)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn. Remove husks and silks and slice corn off the cob. *
- 3/4 cup matchstick-size pieces peeled jicama (can substitute carrots)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 medium acocado, halved, seeded, peeled and sliced
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 fresh salsa (can use jarred)
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Line a large platter with the salad greens. In a medium bowl, combine the beans, corn, jicama and tomato.
- Spoon over greens
- Top with the next five ingredients.
- Top with dressing of your choice - enjoy
- * You can use 1 cup thawed frozen corn
Since this salad doesn’t come in a tortilla bowl, you may want to have a few chips on the side. I really enjoy it without the chips. There is enough crunch in the salad, that I don’t worry about it.
Here are a few other salads your family may enjoy:
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe withCrispy Chicken Wings - February 17, 2017
- This is How We Roll Link Party #103 - February 16, 2017
- Are Probiotics for you?They are for more than healing your gut - February 14, 2017