French Toast is one of Big’s favorite Sunday morning meals. I am happy to eat cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, but Big loves …. well, a big breakfast! So on Sunday mornings, I get up a little early and get in the kitchen to cook up a little surprise.
This past Sunday I chose to make French Toast for our breakfast. If you remember, a few weeks ago, I made a couple loaves of Italian bread. The bread was soft and really tasty, but we were not able to finish the second loaf before it started to go a little stale. It wasn’t hard to decide to make French Toast with it.
If my memory serves me correctly, I learned this recipe from my Father. I think he learned it from an old Army buddy. I could be wrong, but I know that I have made French Toast this way for as long as I can remember. Many of the recipes I have seen for this wonderful breakfast, do not include sugar in the batter. My recipe does. I really like the little bit of sweet in the egg mixture. I am not too fond of syrup on my toast (or my pancakes either), I am happy with
a little a lot of butter.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- pinch of fresh nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 6 slices Italian bread (or bread of your choice, a dense bread is best though)
- Vegetable Oil (for cooking)
- Butter (for serving)
- Maple Syrup (for serving)
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat.
- Soak bread slices in mixture until saturated. Cook bread on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.
So, the next time you have some bread that is going stale, think about making French Toast and see your family smile! I would love to hear if you try the recipe.
Still looking for recipes? Here are a few other categories you may like.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This Is How We Roll Thursday Link Party #86 - October 20, 2016
- Why I have a Breast Cancer Awareness Christmas Tree - October 20, 2016
- Easy Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe – A Clean Eating Recipe - October 19, 2016