Freezing candy is such a great way to keep candy for longer. It only takes a few minutes to do and the candy will last a very long time. Candy is super expensive and not always on sale. To keep with my Living Big on Less Money attitude, I will go to the store the day after a holiday and buy candy. I can get it for about 50% less. I try to take a few coupons with me and that will make my purchase even more frugal.
About 11 or 12 years ago, we moved to Arkansas right before Halloween. We lived in a hotel for about a month before we could move into the house we had rented. We “Trick or Treated” in the neighborhood that we would be living in so that we could introduce ourselves and start to get to know the area we would live in. My daughter came home with 2 big bags of candy!
I can still remember her sitting on the bed in the hotel room with the candy surrounding her. She had such a big smile on her face! I wish I could find a photo of her to share with you.
Needless to say, we had so much candy that we couldn’t eat it! I know, that sounds crazy, but it was true. As soon as we moved into our house, I froze all of the extra candy.
Here is how I did it:
- Sort the candy into piles by type – chocolate, hard candy, chewy candy, etc. Then, bag each type individually. You want to make sure the candy doesn’t absorb other flavors in the freezer.
- When you have bagged up your candy, squeeze any extra air out of the bags. This will help prevent freezer burn.
- Place the candy in the freezer and pull out what you need when you need it.
Another thought, freeze each child’s candy separately, make sure you label the bags. Your little ones won’t have a reason to think someone else is eating their candy!
Need some great recipes for the candy?
I hope this helped you out in your goal to live a frugal lifestyle. Need more ideas or want to share a few of yours?
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Healthy Fats should be a part of your diet - February 21, 2017
- Chicken soup for the cold, over 30 healthy recipes for your flu or cold - February 20, 2017
- Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe withCrispy Chicken Wings - February 17, 2017