This easy southwestern rice and beef casserole has been a favorite in my home for many, many years.
I first found the recipe when we lived in Arkansas. We lived in an area where rice was grown. I know, I never thought rice was grown in America either! Well, it is and Arkansas is one of the biggest producers of rice. We grew close to the rice farmers in our city.
Easy southwestern rice bake is a recipe that I found in a pamphlet that was produced by the Rice Association. I found it when my daughter was competing in a 4-H event. There were some great recipes in the pamphlet, but this turned out to be one that became a regular in our home.
I homeschooled my daughter through 12th grade and we were busy, busy, busy. I am not really sure why they call it homeschooling – we were on the road more than we were at home. Anyway, this recipe is so easy to make.
Here are a couple of tips that will make easy southwestern rice and beef casserole easier and quicker to get on the table:
- Make a large batch of rice and freeze it in 3 cup quantities. When you need rice, pull out what you need and defrost it in the refrigerator.
- Buy your hamburger in large quantities, especially when it is on sale. Fry it and freeze it in 1 pound amounts. You can defrost this in the refrigerator and it will be ready when you are.
- 3 cups cooked white rice (can use brown)
- 1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, beef, sour cream, 3/4 cup of Monterey Jack cheese, 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, chilies, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Healthy Fats should be a part of your diet - February 21, 2017
- Chicken soup for the cold, over 30 healthy recipes for your flu or cold - February 20, 2017
- Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe withCrispy Chicken Wings - February 17, 2017