Sunday is the perfect day of the week for me. It is usually a day when we wake up late and move a little slower.
Not to say that we don’t do anything on a Sunday. Mornings are reserved for yard work in the summer and a few house chores in the cooler weather. When our chores are finished, we often sit down for a big breakfast of pancakes or waffles with sausage and bacon. I love those mornings.
The afternoon will often find us reading a good book or watching a movie that has been on our long list of movies to watch. My daughter and her boyfriend often drop by and we all play a game or two.
A great dinner and a glass of wine with family and friends ends, what I consider, the perfect day.
One of our favorite Sunday dinners is easy slow cooker pot roast with mushroom gravy. I usually serve it on egg noodles, but you could serve it on mashed potatoes and it would be just as great.
My Mother began making this dish around the time Campbell’s Soup began to make their cream of mushroom soup. I remember my Mom making this in an old cast iron pot that had been my Grandmother’s. If I remember correctly the pot was passed on to my Mom and Dad when they got married.
I updated the recipe when I received my first slow cooker. When I got my first slow cooker, my daughter was young and I was homeschooling her. We were on the road going from event to event and I didn’t always have time to watch over the roast on the stove.
More recently, I updated the recipe to include fresh mushrooms and onions. They are the perfect addition to the classic pot roast my Mother always made.
- 1 5 - 6 pound or larger Pot Roast (Chuck)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup*
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix spices together and rub on roast.
- Heat olive oil in a pan until almost smoking. Sear each side of the roast.
- Place the roast in a slow cooker and top with the cream of mushroom soup.
- In the same pan you seared the roast, sauté the onion till soft. Add the mushroom and sauté another minute or two.
- Place the onion/mushroom mixture on top of the cream of mushroom soup.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 6 - 8 hours at low. The roast is done when the meat easily falls apart.
- * If you use a larger roast, you can use two cans of cream of mushroom soup
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Healthy Honey Oatmeal Cookies #BackToSchoolRecipes - July 19, 2017
- Bunnies in the Garden at lunch time #Backtoschoolrecipes - July 17, 2017
- Use fresh herbs for cooking, reasons why and a few recipes - July 13, 2017