Easy Mashed Sweet Potato recipe – this recipe is one you need to add to your Fall menu.
Thanksgiving dinner is one of my favorite dinners to plan and to cook. I think it is because there are so many great memories attached to the holiday.
My Father was a lover of sweet potatoes and so am I. He would always make a candied sweet potato casserole using sweet potatoes from a can, lots of brown sugar, marshmallows and nuts. He and I would eat it up.
Now that Big and I are eating cleaner I knew that I would have to switch up my sweet potato recipe. I knew it needed to be cleaner and full of real ingredients.
Before I get to this easy mashed sweet potato recipe, I want to share some of the health benefits of sweet potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes are full of antioxidants
- They are anti-inflammatory due to vitamin C, vitamin B6, beta-carotene, and manganese
- They are soothing to the stomach. Vitamins B and C and potassium, beta-carotene, and calcium healing of stomach ulcers.
- Good source of fiber
EASY MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPE
We love sweet potatoes any time of the year. To me, there was nothing better than a baked sweet potato. I have also come to love sweet potato fries.
Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 inch medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2- chunks
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3 TBL butter
- 2 TBL brown sugar I use Bob's Red Mill organic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fill a large saucepan with enough water to cover the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes or until tender.
Drain, and return to saucepan.
Add butter and begin to mash the sweet potatoes.
When the butter is melted, add the half and half and brown sugar and mash until creamy.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
When you are out having a walk after a wonderful and filling dinner, look for some acorns for this DIY Fall Treat that anyone can make. I think it would be a great family activity.
At the end of a long day of hating friends and family, it is time to pamper yourself. Take a few minutes to make this Pumpkin Sugar Scrub Recipe. You won’t regret it.
Go on – you deserve it!
Looking for more clean eating side dishes for your Thanksgiving dinner? Take a moment to look at these:
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Healthy Fats should be a part of your diet - February 21, 2017
- Chicken soup for the cold, over 30 healthy recipes for your flu or cold - February 20, 2017
- Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe withCrispy Chicken Wings - February 17, 2017