Easy greek lentil salad is not only good for you, but is also good on your budget. Lentils are low in calories and high in protein. They can easily be used for a side dish or a main dish. I bought a 16 ounce bag of lentils for less than $2.00. Such a frugal protein!
Summer is a time of the year that I really want to be outside. I don’t want to be inside and cooking over a hot stove all day long. This greek lentil salad is great because it doesn’t take long to create and it will sit in the refrigerator until I am ready for it.
I make lentils on my stove top and typically cook a pound of them at a time. There are red, brown and green lentils for you to choose from. Typically, you will find the brown lentils in the store. Lentils can be frozen and used for a recipe later in the month. I take the lentils out of the freezer the day before I want to use them and let them defrost slowly, this will keep them from getting mushy.
I am a lover of feta cheese, so it is often found in my home. Per pound, feta cheese is not inexpensive, but the small amount used in this recipe and other recipes that call for feta makes it affordable. I always look for coupons and watch for it to go on sale.
- Easy Greek Lentil Salad2015-06-25 20:15:03Easy Greek Lentil salad is full of flavor and other good for you ingredients. This dish can be eaten as a side or a vegetarian meal. Good for you - good for your wallet.Write a reviewIngredients
- 2 cups cooked lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- ½ cup purple onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cucumber, quartered
- ¼ cup feta cheese, cubed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
Feeding Big http://feedingbig.com/
- In a large bowl, combine lentils, olives, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and parsley.
- Whisk oil, lemon juice and oregano together.
- Toss salad with dressing to coat.
- Best if marinated for 2 hours before serving, but can be eaten right away.
As I said earlier, this dish can be a great side or a main dish. Lentils are high in protein and with the addition of the feta cheese the protein amount will meet what would be the best for an evening meal.
Easy greek lentil salad, is high in protein and low in cost. You can add this to a main dish or eat it as your main course. I know you won’t go wrong with this.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- How to Make the Most Delicious Eggnog Scones #SundaySupper - December 4, 2016
- Need more sleep?How to do it and why you should - December 2, 2016
- This Is How We Roll Thursday Link Party #92 - December 1, 2016