Chili is a well loved recipe in this house! During the cooler weather we eat chili at least every couple of weeks. We even eat it in the summer! How about you? Do you and your family love chili?
I recently tried making chili with stew meat, using my slow cooker. I wasn’t so sure about using stew meat. I normally use hamburger. When I looked at recipes in my favorite cookbooks, I found that most cooks seem to like using hamburger. I am beginning to think that hamburger is good, but stew meat is better!
You may not realize it, but Chili is a frugal family meal. The basics are beans, tomatoes, meat and a few spices. That is it. What could be easier? I made this chili for less than $1.00 per person! Also, who wouldn’t want to walk in the house and smell this amazing dish and know that it will be on the table in just minutes.
If you hang around Feeding Big very much, you know that I am striving to feed my family of 3 adults on $300 a day. With this in mind, I recently stopped by Dollar General beacause I had heard of thier Dollar General easy meals. I found their Clover Valley line of foods. I was not only impressed with the price, but with the quality also! I know I will be doing some shopping there again! Stop by Dollar General on Facebook and keep up with their sales, I know I follow them! Don’t forget to follow them on Twitter!
Here is the cost breakdown of this Easy Chili with Stew Meat recipe:
- Stew Meat – $4.99 (1 pound)
- 2 cans of Clover Valley Tomatoes (15 oz each) – $1.00
- 2 cans of Clover Valley Red Kidney Beans – $1.00
- 1 can of Clover Valley Tomato/Green Chili – $.69
- Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt and Pepper – $.05
- Total Cost – $7.73
- Cost per person (feeding 8) – $.96
I hope you will give this recipe a try! It really is easy and frugal! Of course, if you were able to find the meat on sale, this recipe would cost less. This recipe will defiantly be on my Menu again. Speaking of menus, do you plan your menus? If not, stop by my series called Menu Planning Made Simple – you will learn how to plan your menus to save time and money!
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Recipe Makeover, 40+ bloggers sharing healthy recipes and a giveaway - April 24, 2017
- Mexican Corn and Shrimp Skillet, ready in about 15 minutes - April 24, 2017
- Recipe for Cajun Shrimp Sheet Pan Dinner - April 21, 2017