Chicken Shepherds Pie found it’s way to my dinner table a few nights ago. I had been busy all day long and forget to plan dinner. Don’t you hate it when that happens?
After digging around in the refrigerator for a few minutes, I dug out some leftover chicken and corn. Hmmm….I got my brain to thinking and decided to make a Chicken Shepherds Pie. I have never made or eaten this before, but we are big fans of Shepherds Pie with beef.
The result is fantastic! Leftovers never tasted so good. Chicken and vegetables in creamy sauce and topped off with mashed potatoes. Who could want anything more from a dish?
- 1 can of Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Leftover Cooked Chicken (about 1/2 of a cooked chicken)
- Vegetables of your choice (corn, green beans, mushrooms - as many as your family can stand)
- Mashed Potatoes (using about 6 - 8 potatoes)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clover garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Dash of paprika
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel and boil your potatoes until cooked. Mash with butter, and milk (I used half and half) Let the potatoes sit until the meat mixture is ready.
- Heat oil and sauté onion until it is translucent. When the onions are almost ready, add the garlic and sauté for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred or cube the leftover chicken, add to a large bowl. Add the vegetables of choice, the onion/garlic mixture and the can of Cream of Mushroom soup. Mix well.
- Place the meat mixture in the bottom of a baking pan (I used individual dishes) and then cover with the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until gravy is bubbly.
- I know that I am very vague on the measurements. This is one of those dishes that you just throw things in a pot and hope for the best. Use what you have and be creative!
I hope you will give this recipe a fair try. I think that your family will love it. What is not to love about a dish with mashed potatoes on it?
Here is a Low-fat Turkey Shepherds Pie recipe from Hungry Little Girl.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- Cinnamon Honey Sweet Potato Chips, a clean eating recipe - January 13, 2017
- This Is How We Roll Thursday #98 - January 12, 2017
- Cauliflower Buffalo Bites, a vegan version of buffalo wings - January 10, 2017