Chicken and Rice with Cumin and Cilantro is a recipe that comes from the wonderful book titled, Jacques Pepin – Heart & Soul in the Kitchen.
I received this book from my Mother as a Christmas gift and this is the first recipe I have made from it. Here at casa Feeding Big, we love chicken wings. So, when I saw this recipe, I knew it would be one that I had to try.
Chicken and Rice with Cumin and Cilantro is often called Arroz Con Pollo. This recipe is made with wings and not chicken pieces. I know the standard Arroz Con Pollo is made with chicken thighs and legs, but this version is better (at least in my humble opinion).
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, remaining seciotns separated into 2 pieces each
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peeled ginger
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- One 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes (use juice)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha or other hot chili sauce
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cilantro stems, plus 1/2 chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skilling - I used a 14 inch cast iron skillet. The wings need to cook in a single layer. Dry the wings with paper towels. Place them in the hot oil in a singer layer and brown for about 8 minutes over high heat. Turn the wings over and brown about another 8 minutes. Transfer the wings to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the drippings in the skillet and cook for about 2 - 3 minutes. Add the rice and cumin and mix well. Add the tomatoes, salt, Sriracha, water an chopped cilantro stems. Mix well.
- Return the wings to the pan and bring to a strong boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for about 30 minutes or until the wings are cooked through and the rice is tender.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Latest posts by Cynthia (see all)
- This is How We Roll Link Party #104 - February 23, 2017
- Healthy Fats should be a part of your diet - February 21, 2017
- Chicken soup for the cold, over 30 healthy recipes for your flu or cold - February 20, 2017